Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Fall Literary Season Will Soon Be Upon Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Where Are The Goodies????????????????????????


                               Richard Russo is worth looking forward to, but Tea Obreht is a mixed bag; I know, having read two of her books.



                                But where are the really big writers; the kind who make me want to run to the bookstore immediately, because I just have to have that book???????????????????



                                     Emma Cline is coming out with something called "Switzy," which I want to read, and Kate Atkinson is coming out with a new novel called "Our Noble Selves."  I am especially excited about Kate.



                                         But is that all readers like me can expect?  There used to be such an outpouring of literary wealth come the Fall, but now I am not sure what to expect.  And how about that New York Times list?  They will have to pull spuds from ashcans this year to find some quality fiction.



                                            Unless some authors out there are keeping secrets.  And we get some last-minute surprises.



                                              I would like to be optimistic, but with the cultural quality in this country descending to a lower grade level than one is used to, I can't hold out hope.



                                             I mean, what if Dan Brown's "The Secret Of Secrets?" turns up on book lists????????????



                                             That will be a sure sign that literary fiction is in trouble!



                                              What literary fiction, darlings??????????????

2 comments:

  1. There has to be some last minute surprises, there just HAS to be!!
    Let’s hold on to that thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, Thanks for the hope! I will hold on to it! And if they surface, I will post!

    ReplyDelete