Oh, girls, I am telling you! I just loved the theme song to "Babes." This was some sort of outgrowth of "Hairspray" (from John Waters in 1988) to give a voice to plus sized women. The show told the story of three sisters in a city (Was it New York of L.A.? I cannot remember!) who, like all of us at one time, were trying to become career girls! The gimmick was their size, and Wendie Jo Sperber, standing, was the biggest and the best of them.
The show debuted in 1990, lasted a season, and had a moderate success in reruns. I can still hear the theme song running through my head. The show only did something for Sperber, who, sadly died in 2005 at the age of 47 from breast cancer. What a shame.
And what a shame TV still does not give plus sized women a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unless casting for a circus sideshow. The double standard still applies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, Beanie Feldstein! How about a reboot of "Babes?????????????????"

It’s still a-ok in this society, to make fun of full-figured gals.
ReplyDeleteWeird & Depressing.
Victoria, It is sad when things that should do not change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHaven't thought of Wendie Jo in ages- thanks for the reminder! I first noticed her in Steven Spielberg's mega flop '1941' (which ironically was the last of the string of massively expensive flops by wunderkind directors that nearly killed Hollywood, most infamously exemplified by "Heavens Gate" reviewed by you as well). She was really funny in that desperately unfunny hot mess: a bright spot in a movie that was otherwise all empty (if impressive) spectacle interrupted by bouts of coked up comics Spielberg could not control grating against aging stars from the Golden era.
ReplyDeleteMy dear, I have always been curious about "1941." However, I have never seen or reviewed "Heaven's Gate," nor have any desire to. Wendie Jo died at the age of 47 in 2005. She lost some of her "Babes" wight but was still plus sized.
ReplyDelete