Followers

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Girls, There Is Still Political Theater

Darlings, last night after a frazzled day at the office, I was offered a ticket to "The Temperamentals," the gay theater sensation off-Broadway in midtown, and political theater is still alive and well in this tale of real life activists Harry Hay and Bob Hull, among others, who, long before Stonewall, founded a LGBT group called the Mattachine Society. Hay went from being a married hypocrit with a wife to an out and out activist and founder of the Radical Fairies. Of course, we can't really call him gay, since he stuck his penis into a disgusting vaginal hole, but he did pave the way. The evening was beautifully staged on a square stage visible from all sides, and the space insured intimacy. The actors were compelling in their roles, though I was disturbed, darling, by the revelation that Hull killed himself in 1962. Basically, he couldn't handle gay old age (at 44?!!!!) and not being able to score with sweet young things! I mean, come on! Girls, you know I am single right now, and I have been through every concept of nut job in Manhattan gay relationships, and I am 54 (though my professional age is still 24!) and I am still here! Not a cheery message for young gays. Aging is no reason to kill yourself; just curl up with Ann Margret in "Bye, Bye, Birdie" and do the opening and closing numbers, and darling your life will continue. Nonetheless the virtually all gay audience enjoyed the wit and humanity of "The Temperamentals," which I highly recommend!!!!! Darlings, political theater of high quality is not dead!!!! So strap yourselves into those girdles and make an evening of it!!!!!
See you on the aisle, girls!!!!!!!!!

No comments: