Followers

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Darlings, Let Me Tell You, Every Gay Man Is Sheila!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girls, would you beleive that two different characters named Sheila came out of two different musicals that came out of the same theater, the Public, in New York? The first, whom we are not concerned with, is Sheila Franklin in "HAIR." The second, whom we are, is Sheila Bryant in "A Chorus Line."

Now, darlings, you know how much I love and have loved "A Chorus Line." I have seen it 36 times. I could recite the entire script verbatim. I dance it in my own well meaning, ill formed way.

There is one game that all of us who love "A Chorus Line" play, and that is, "Who Are You?" That is, in relation to the show. Not necessarily in terms of dance ability, but in terms of your personality, and whom you identify with.

Now, honey, let me tell you, back in 1975, when I saw the ORGIGINAL production with the ORGINIAL company, I just knew I was Cassie. So many of us back in 1975 wanted to be Donna McKechnie. Hell, I still do!!!!!!!!!

Recently, though, when I discuss this with people, I usually get the same reaction--"Cassie? Oh, no; you are Sheila!" "Why?" I ask them! "Because you tell it like it is, and you take no crap!"

Is that right, darlings? Am I Sheila??? Now, Sheila herself says, "I'm very strong!" which is something, lamb chops, I would never say about myself. But many others say I am. Even Monsieur Davide. I mean, here I am, wanting to be sweet and wholesome like Miss Dorothy, and I get labeled as a tart tongued veteran. Well, I am a veteran of sorts--a Veteran Queen, a Vicious Queen, and of course The Raving Queen.

Which brings me back to the central question--Are most gay men Sheila? Well, like her, they generally go through experiences that harden them. Read yesterday's post on Roberta, and you will see what I mean. Now if only I could stand tall and statuesque and dance "At The Ballet" as well as I can sing it.

Sheila has one moment that is pure ME. In the opening number, she messes up, and the director asks, "Sheila, do you know the combination?" To which she replies, "I knew it when I was in the front!"

Damn right! You better believe I am in the front!

Make sure you stay in the front, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: