Followers

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Purely Disappointing, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            No matter how it did not live up to its masterwork, Harper Lee's "Go Set A Watchman" will be, for history, THE Literary Event Of The Year, if not the decade.

                            When I heard Jonathan Franzen was coming out with a new novel in the Fall, I had high expectations.  So high I expected to write a post, citing it as the book of the year.

                                I could not have been more wrong.

                                 "Purity" is the year's disappointment. It is not bad enough to be accorded "worst" status, but it is a tremendous letdown. The title refers to the heroine's name (which made me wince) and her nickname is--get this--"Pip.."  She is in search of her biological father, so what Franzen is starting out with is a contemporary riff on Dickens' masterwork, "Great Expectations."  That phrase is even used in the course of the novel's over 500 pages.

                                     But the gimmick does not work.  I found myself trying to absorb both the immediate story and then tie it in to Dickens'. We know who Purity/Pip is. But who is Miss Havisham?  Andreas Wolf?  Pip's mother?  Tom?  Leila?  Who is Estella?  Jason? Which would make sense a man would take Estella's part, since Pip here is female.

                                       You tell me.   I am still not sure. Franzen is all over the place with this. He sends the heroine to work at Andreas' start up in Bolivia, and this is Franzen's turn to criticize the ills of contemporary society--which Dickens did, in his time, and many of Franzen's ones I share myself--but nothing is clear and concise.  The mixture never congeals.

                                         After a double whammy with "The Corrections" and "Freedom," I was convinced Franzen could do no wrong.  Boy, was I in for a letdown.  Many will see this as the Book Of The Year, but not yours truly.  I have a vague idea what it may turn out to be, but I have not read the title yet, and will let you know when I do.

                                            Those, such as I, who admire Franzen, will read this, anyway. The quality of the writing is sold.  It is the narrative concept that fails.  For those who are Franzen's detractors, skip this one, or read it, and use it to justify your hatred.  I am sure some will.

                                               On to the next volume, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: