Followers

Sunday, June 5, 2016

This Could Be The Theatrical Event Of The Season--Here Is How!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              Unbelievable as it may seem, despite my incredible admiration for Hayley Mills, I have never seen the film version of "The Chalk Garden," made in 1964, and featuring Edith Evans, Hayley's father, John, and the great Deborah Kerr.  The Broadway production, which opened at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre on October 26, 1955, was the stuff of legend.  The sets and costumes were--oh, my God!!!!!!!!!!!--by Cecil Beaton!!!!!!!--and the cast included Gladys Cooper, Siobhan McKenna, Fritz Weaver, and, in Hayley's role, Betsy Von Furstenberg!!!!!!!!!!!!  It has never been revived.

                                Well, now comes word that, next Spring, Dame Angela Lansbury, who will then be 91, is going to star in a revival.  No theater has been set, so I cannot say if Roundabout is doing it, but I know Scott Rudin is one of the producers.

                                  But, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  Even though I should be seen for the Hayley Mills role of the disturbed, pyromaniacal granddaughter, I am abdicating to the one truly deserving of the role, as she would be so heartbreaking--Celia Keenan-Bolger.  Those Keenan-Bolgers have the gift of youth, and Celia is actress enough to pull it off.  And who better to play the governess than that acme of femininity--Mary-Louise Parker??????????

                                     I am telling you, darlings, with a cast like that, I am there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     And maybe--just maybe--as she takes her final curtain call, Angela will sing "If He Walked Into My Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                       See you at "The Chalk Garden," girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: