Followers

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Oh, My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darlings, Could THIS Be The Book Of The Year??????????????????????????


                                          I have to admit, girls, it meets my criteria--it blew me away, it was well written, and the concept was ingenious.  I still have it in my head.



                                          Gordon McAlpine's fun and mysterious novel--a short 234 pages, but its breadth of coverage is impressive--imagines what happened after the camera stopped rolling on the film we all love.



                                               There is no mention of Judy Garland or MGM, but McAlpine imagines how Dorothy was after the cyclone, the mysterious death of the spinster we all know is Miss Gulch, but, for copyright reasons, is given another name, the fate of Uncle Henry and Auntie Em.  And, of course, Toto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                  Not since Geoff Ryman's "WAS" has an Oz speculation book been so good.  The sad thing is that it was published posthumously, as the author died on November 24, 2021, at the age of 62.  A pity, as I was looking forward to more McAlpine works.



                                                   Kansas will never be the same, after you read this, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: