Followers

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"Do You Know What I Would Do, If Someone Did That To Me? I Would Kill Him! I Would Not Hesitate! I Would Stab Him 78 Times...With A Butcher Knife! I Would Chop Off His Fingers! I Would Gouge His Eyes Out! I Swear To God!......But That's Me!!!!!!!!!!!"


                    By the time she made "Primal Fear," in 1996 (that was 18 years ago, girls; can you believe it?????) Laura Linney had come a long way from playing Mary Ann Singleton in "Tales Of The City."  Her hard boiled performance as prosecuting attorney Janet Venable was one of many performance highlights, which also included Edward Norton, in his Oscar nominated debut as Aaron Stampler, Frances McDormand, as Molly, the psychiatrist, (whose interview scene with Norton is one of the high points of the film) not to mention some nice bits from John Mahoney, Andre Braugher, Maura Tierney, and, in the role of Archbishop Rushman, who triggers all the action, character actor Stanley Anderson, who had made a name for himself, by then, in a series of TV ads for Shop Rite stores, as the Shop Rite Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    With all this talent, it was amazing Richard Gere could hold his own, with this ensemble!!!!!!!!!!!  But he does.  The final scene between him and Norton is brilliant, but the one between Norton and Linney, not only for how superbly it is done, but for the experience it engendered in me, will remain, for me, the most memorable aspect of the film. Let's see if I can find it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                         Here it is!  Now, let's talk about it!

                         When I first saw this, back in 1996, I was recovering from a herniated disc.  I had had some physical therapy, so I had reached a point where I could sit at movies, in the very back--usually those dual seats for the handicapped--in case, of pain, I had to suddenly stand up, due to pain.

                             That did not happen, during "Primal Fear," but something else did.  The only time in my life I can honestly say I mentally dissociated.  What was going on, with me, then, I wonder?

                               The first time out, of course, and, having never read the novel, I had no idea what was coming.  But something, at that moment, channeled Norton's character into myself, because, when he looked up at Laura Linney, saying, "Where do you think you are going?," then rising from his seat to attack her, yelling "Fuck you, lady!," I automatically stood up in my aisle, and yelled right at the screen--"Get her! Get her! Bitch! Cunt!"  To this day, I have no idea why I was not  attacked by audience members or booted out of the theater, except, as I recall, the minute Norton began to lift in his seat, the audience sensed what was about to happen, and began screaming at the top of their lungs.  By the time I joined the fray, one could barely hear the dialogue on screen, in the theater.

                                  Since then, I have seen "Primal Fear" many times, and it has never elicited that response in me.  My friend Tom,  (who may not remember) the cherub, was with me in 1996, when this happened, and for a long time he did not forget it.  I believe he was genuinely shocked.

                                     Guess we all have our dark sides, darlings!!!!!!!!!  But make sure yours is Devil's Food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: