Followers

Friday, September 26, 2014

Matthew Pearl's Latest Is A Gem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          "Latest" may be a bit exaggerated, as I believe this came out in 2012.  My literary consciousness tells me I was aware of it when it did come out, but I am so backed up on my reading--an occupational hazard!!!!!--that I put it aside, and blocked it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                           But then I came upon "The Technologists" at a local library, and when I saw Matthew Pearl's name on it, I knew I had to read it.  Having read all his other books, I was not about to miss this one, and I am glad I did not, because, girls, this is is his best, since "The Dante Club!!!!!!!!!!"  That's right!  It was so enthralling I spent yesterday afternoon reading the last 100 plus pages, not moving until I finished.  This is something I have not done since first reading "Special Topics In Calamity Physics," by Marisha Pessl.   Yes, darlings, it is THAT enthralling.

                           The novel takes place in Boston, three years after the Civil War, in 1868, and involves members of the first graduating class of a then new school called MIT!!!!!!!!!  That's right!  Not only was the school battling the notion of technology being evil--an issue still bandied about today!!!!!!!!!!!-- the school had the audacity to admit  to its freshman class a female member, Ellen Swallow, whose gender demanded then she be sequestered away from the men, and taught individually, not with the others.  I have nothing against one-on-one instruction; in my case, involving math and the sciences, I could have benefited from it!!!!--but not on the basis of sexual discrimination.

                           Ellen Swallow is actually based on a real woman of that name, who went on to teach at MIT, and two of the male students existed in real life; one of them also going on to teach at the school.  The fun comes when they get embroiled in a mystery involving murder, vengeance, and intellectual arrogance, which could make a difference in the existence of the school.  Boston is shaken by a series of chemical disasters that kill hundreds, damage others, and it is up to these enterprising students to figure out not only what is being done, but by whom, and why.  Pearl's research is skillful, as is his suspenseful plotting; I was truly shocked when the true identity of the killer was revealed, which says Pearl knows as much about literary roots as he does about squared ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          "The Technologists" is not only perfect for those who love science and mystery, but for readers desiring something they can  just sit back and enjoy, yet is so well written as to not insult one's intelligence!  I bet even Mama June and Sugar Bear would enjoy it!

                            Matthew Pearl scores another triumph, and I cannot wait for his next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: