Followers

Sunday, August 16, 2020

This Book, In A Manner Of Speaking, Saved My Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

                            How that was accomplished will be revealed in the post after this.


                             But for now, let me say that Wayetu Moore's debut novel, "She Would Be King," gave me something to focus upon when I desperately needed to.  And the reason I was able is because Moore's writing was so detailed and gorgeous, and the narrative drive just soared.


                              The "She" of the title is Gbesssa, and her story, combined with characters such as Norman Aragon, June Dey, and a host of others, chronicles the slavery experience in the United States, England, Jamaica and Haiti.  Gbessa emerges triumphant at the end, but all she and everyone else in this epic novel (which is only 294 pages) goes through will stay with the reader.  I still hold in my head the nightmarish vision of the village with heap upon heap of dead children's bodies piled atop one another.


                                Moore also interjects a little of "magical realism" into the novel.  This is a literary device too many writers are currently making use of, and I do not like it, but Moore's is an exception; it is used for a constructive purpose, and I had no problem with it here.  It acted as an integration into the story, and not just a trendy literary device.


                                   And all this in an historical panorama, chronicling the formation of Liberia!  Impressive on any level, but, as a debut, it is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   Girls, you have got to read this!  Had it come out this year, it could have made my Ten Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I did not know “magical realism” was a trend in the literary world.
I usually don’t pay much attention to trends any more lol

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

Oh, it is very much the flavor of the month.
I generally avoid such books as they are too
mired in the fantasy aspect. But this was
grounded in enough reality to make the
magical aspects non-intrusive.