Followers

Thursday, March 28, 2013

This Book Should Have Been Fun......But NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                             Before getting into "The Middlesteins," darlings, let me say once again--you cannot judge a book by its cover. The jacket design is colorful and engaging, (and kudos to the designer) so I was expecting something fun and intriguing, along the lines of "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?"  And I was intrigued by how it would deal with the obesity issue, since Edie, its central character, struggles with it.

                                                My anticipation was furthered by a blurb on the front from Jonathan Franzen, extolling the merits of Jami Attenberg's novel.  I settled back, and began to read.

                                                  Now, dolls,  I got through it, but all I can say is, thank God the book was a short 275 pages, and even then I was in a hurry for things to be wrapped up.  "The Middlesteins" seems to be all over the place as to what it wants to do--channel Philip Roth, concoct a Jewish version of "The Corrections"--but I am here to say it succeeds at neither.

                                                     Edie, the obese woman in question, is the most engaging character. Her daughter-in-law, Rochelle, is a real bitch, who I wanted someone to smack.  When Rochelle and her adolescent daughter, Robin, go at it, in true mother-daughter fashion, I thought Rochelle got exactly what she deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                       The buzz on this book was slight, and  I did not notice it popping up on any lists last year, when it first appeared. If people are waiting for lists this year, I would not wait for "The Middlesteins" to be on any of them. .  At times amusing, but never truly funny, without the linguistic skill of Franzen or Roth, (even Roth at his worst!!!!!!!!!) my reaction upon finishing this was an elongated "Blah!!!!!!!!!"

                                                         Spare yourselves, girls!!!!!!!!!!!  And give me "Middlemarch" ANY day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: