Followers

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Joycie, Baby, How Could You Do A Number On Me?????????????


                                       I really wanted to read "The Corn Maiden," which is a brilliant psychological exploration of childhood bullying, with a shocking twist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But I also wanted to read the other six stories in the book; in the end, I read only a total of four.

                                       "The Corn Maiden" is the first and titled story of the collection.  It was followed by "Beersheba," which was fine, though a big comedown from the first story, which turns out to be the best.  But, when I got to "Nobody Knows My Name," something went wrong.  First, I am reading this engaging tale of two sisters, then suddenly, I veer from page 178 to 211, and am in a tale about twisted twin brothers.  No, not like "The Other;" more Hitchcockian, and grounded in reality.  Then, after a certain point, the book goes back to the page 211 sequence, again.  As a result, I missed half of "Nobody Knows My Name,"
all of "Fossil Figures," and half of "Death-Cup."  Thank God "Helping Hands" and "A Hole In The Head," which were fabulous, rounded things out.

                                        So, basically, I read a seven story collection that had only four stories.  Joycie, how could you do this to me????????  Me, The Raving Queen????????  At first, I thought it was one of your Carol Oates literary tricks, but even you could not be so scattered.  You are a Structure Queen, dear.

                                         I want to know what happened to those other stories.  And what happens in them!!!!!!!!!   Joycie, baby, you better send me a free, complete copy of this book!  I demand it!

                                          And future readers of this book, examine it, before purchasing it or checking it out, to see if it is complete!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           Come on, Joyce!  Get with the program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!










No comments: