Followers

Sunday, January 24, 2021

I Can't Believe I Read The Whole Thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                            Really, darlings.  But let me tell you,  for  good readers,  it  is worth the  investmeent  of  time.  It  took  me  nine  days, which is long for me, to get through it, and I will not deny those last 100 pages were like climbing a mountain.  Nevertheless,  although I am now sick  of the  phrase "the fact that," the novel caught me, and I  could not let go, until  I had finished the entire  text.


                                            " Is there a plot?," most will  ask.   Yes there is. An unnamed woman--borrowing  from  "Rebecca,"  by Daphne  Du Maurier--muses on  everything  imaginable--the  only omissions  I  can think  of are Jennifer Jones and "The Song Of Bernadette"-- while doing  whatever--getting dinner,  or making  pies, which,  as a retired adjunct instructor at  a local Ohio  college, she does  to supplement  the family income.   The novel does have a  climactic moment  that  brings  things  togetther, especially the issues between she and her teenaged daughter, Staci.


                                              The secret to getting  through it is sitting back,  and  letting wash all over you.  Put  it  down  and pick it up at your convenience; do not be pressured by the text.


                                               And,  unlike  Joyce,  who mixes language and words, the text is accessible.  It  is just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Does it need to be?  Not especially.


                                                There is one surprise I can  reveal,  as  I did not expect  it.  This novel has earned its attentnion from  the stream-of-consciousness style Ellman uses--but only ninety  per cent  of  the time.   There are break  off sections, written conventionally, that parallels the narrator's life  with that of an escaped  mother  cougar, in  search of her cubs.   I actually  found  this device  fascinating, and, truthfully,  more moving.


                                                 Finsihing this book  calls for a celebration. It  is my big reading project of the year.  And now  it  is  done.  I  can recommend this, with reservation,  and,  while it may sound snobby,  it  is the truth--only advanced,  erudite readers should attempt  it.


                                                    Even  more difficult would be having  to teach this,  or assign  it  in some  class.  It  would  take an entire semester.


                                                     But, don't  worry, dears.  That  isn't  likely to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                     And this review never once used the  phrase "the fact that!"



3 comments:

Victoria said...

I will not be picking this one up anytime soon.
Because of The Fact That I am not advanced or erudite!!😉

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

Are you kidding? Of
course you are. The
question is do you
want to invest the time.

Last year you advised me
to read "Anniversaries" first.
It was the right call. Had
I read "Ducks, Newburyport" first,
I might not have been interested
in readaing "Anniversaries." Which,
though longer, turned out to be
the better book.

Victoria said...

Thanks but I wonder sometimes.
Ever since that eye procedure I’ve had some kind of brain fog.