Followers

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Darlings, The Brooklyn Book Festival Was Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                           Not to mention crowded and hot!  But David and I braved the heat so I could pick up some stuff.  As I have said I am the Imelda Marcos of books, and I came away with two, of course.  Here they are--
                                     "Chain-Gang All-Stars," by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah--This one has gotten a lot of attention throughout the year.  I have been putting it off because I have heard it is very violent, but I think it may turn up on a lot of end of year book lists, including The New York Times.  Right now, I am reading "The Romantic," by William Boyd, and so I have to hurry, as this is my busiest reading time of the year.  And I have two re-reads I must do.  So glad I caught this one, though!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                           
                                    "Terrace Story," by Hilary Leichter--I have never heard of it or her, but she was recommended to me by my old friend from "Three Lives," Jessica, who now owns "Greenlight Books," in Brooklyn, not all that far from the festival.  Jessica and I chatted, and this book will be perfect after the hefty volumes I have to read.  Will I make my goal of 100?  We shall find out, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                         I don't think I have been to the Brooklyn Book, Festival since before Covid hit.  It was so good to be out and among people, though no one recognized me, and while I am sure people I know were there--maybe Taylor Swift and Blake Lively!!!!!!!!--no one recognized me.  But then, I was traveling incognito.


                                           Support the indie bookstores, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        



                                                                              

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I have not read those books but I Have heard of Hilary Leichter!!
She teaches at Columbia!! She lives in Brooklyn!!!
I hope you run into her someday!!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I did not know about Hilary; I will keep my eyes out.
Right now, I am reading "The Romantic," by William Boyd. Very picaresque, but it is not blowing me away. So, few things I have read this year have.