Followers

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

"You Can Learn A Lot Of Things From The Flowers/For Especially In The Month Of June/ There's A Wealth Of Happiness And Romance/All In The Golden Afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                 And a golden afternoon it was, darlings.  This past Sunday, David and I traveled into the city, where Film Forum Jr. was showing Disney's 1951 "Alice In Wonderland" at 11AM.  Let me tell you, girls, I am rarely seen in public that hour, so, if I am, you know it is a big deal.



                                  I had never seen this classic in its entirety; only in bits and pieces, most notably the Mad Tea Party scene, with Ed Wynn as the Mad Hatter.



                                    So, let me say two things.  Not since 1939's "The Wizard Of Oz" have I seen such a perfect use of color.  Not only that, in just 75 minutes, the entire Lewis Carroll work is beautifully encapsulated, incorporating bits of "Through The Looking Glass" into it.



                                     I had this story record when I was a child, and it was my favorite.  And when I got to Disneyland, in Anaheim, CA, in 1964, my favorite ride was the Alice In Wonderland Ride.  Unfortunately, I believe they got rid of it years ago, and Disney World never had it at all.  What a shame.



                                        Back in the seventies, and after "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," the film everyone was getting stoned on was Disney's "Fantasia."  I think the mark was missed; this is the film to get high on.  And one does not need drugs to do it.  Just a sense and appreciation of color and beauty.



                                         And, girls, wouldn't we all want Alice's hairstyle and that blue dress and white apron?  I have been wanting to wear it forever!!!!!!!!!!  I bet it would make an impression on ANNA.



                                         "Alice In Wonderland" was the perfect, if temporary, relief to all the troubles in our world.



                                            Darlings, I am ready to go down that rabbit hole right now!


2 comments:

Victoria said...

So glad you got to go!!!
I know we share a love of “Golden Afternoon”
I’ve never known anyone else that adores that song like I do!!!
and who shares the childlike whimsy of longing for the Looking Glass, the Rabbit Hole, the wardrobe, the rainbow, the country fair down the road...

The Raving Queen said...

Oh, Victoria,
You know it! And we need some whimsies in these awful times!