Followers

Monday, March 18, 2024

Speaking Of Witches, Darlings, We LOVED "Wicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                     My expectations for this show were not high.  All I knew walking in was that I loved the song "Defying Gravity," and I was looking forward to hearing it sung live.



                                       But---



                                     Five years ago, before we knew there would be a pandemic, David and I saw ENCORES! do an excellent production of the Jerry Herman musical, "Mack And Mabel.  Playing Mabel was someone I had never heard of, named Alexandra Socha.  She blew us both away, and I predicted she would go places.  Well, darlings, she has, because when I opened my Playbill, there I saw her, listed in the pivotal role of Glinda!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I knew we were in good hands.  And her remarkably lyric soprano voice was put to good use.  She could be the next Cunegonde!!!!!!!!  I was also happy for her, because, for an actor working on Broadway, "Wicked" is about as close to a steady gig as one could hope for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                        Nor did Mary Kate Morrissey disappoint as Elphaba.   She nailed "Defying Gravity," making it the shattering Act One climax it is!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a way to end the first half of a show.



                                          And there were other surprises as well.



                                        I never realized how politicized this show is, and though twenty plus years old, holds up today.  Girl empowerment, mean girls, being on the outside, or different, greed--all these things play into this rather insightful fantasy.  While references to the Baum book and Garland movie abound, the film makes no attempt to replicate either.  So, for those like me, for whom MGM's1939 product is their all-time favorite movie, let me assure you--you are in good hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                          What got me to "Wicked" after twenty years?   When it opened I desperately tried to get a single ticket to see Kristin Chenowith and Idina Menzel!  I tried several times, to no avail. Then, when they left, I figured, what was the point?  Until I made a vow that if someone I really liked were ever to go into the show, I would see it.  And on March 5 of this year, that happened.



                                             Donna McKechnie, whom I saw almost 50 years ago as the original Cassie in "A Chorus Line," is currently playing Madame Morrible in this show, in the most deliciously tongue and cheek way.  She sings and dances, though not as much as us fans would like, but when she moves across the stage with a dancer's gracefulness and delivers her lines with a diction lacking in many younger actors, there is no question one is witnessing a Legend Of The Musical Stage.  Even if younger viewers have no idea who she is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                 Other surprises are the still fresh look to Eugene Lee's sets and Susan Hilferty's costumes.  They looked as pristine as if it were opening night.  Unlike some shows who tire after a long run, "Wicked" is in terrific shape.  Though I wonder about Alexandra Socha; hovering high above the stage in a Glinda bubble, with nothing in front to block a fall.  That takes courage!  I would be scared to do it.



                                                     Which brings me to Joe Mantello.  Now that he is an aging actor, I had forgotten how good a director he is.  I wonder if he checks in on the show from time to time.  I hope, because it would need that to keep it in the remarkable shape that it is in.  I would not mind working with Mantello myself, though let me tell you girls that if he thinks he is going to pull that direct-by-intimidation approach on me, I will show him on the spot what B-I-T-C-H means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                        "Wicked" surprised us both to no end.  I urge those having never gone to do so right away, not only for Donna but to see one of the last examples of a genuinely lavish Broadway musical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                             And I love Elphaba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                          


          

2 comments:

Victoria said...

SO glad you & David got to see it!!
Especially with DONNA!!!!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
DONNA was perfection. But the show is better than I was expecting.
If you were in NYC, I would recommend it to you.