Followers

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Today Is The 61st Anniversary Of My First Holy Communion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  And it happened on a Saturday, too, girls!  My parents had a time getting me into the car because I wanted to postpone the event, because Channel 9 was showing "Godzilla" (ie;. "Gojira") on "Super Adventure Theater."  Needless to say, I was forced into the car, and made it to my communion.



                                     It was a beautiful and moving ceremony.  You should see the picture of me in my robe, which is on our refrigerator.  I look like Gladys Cooper in "The Song Of Bernadette."  



                                     But the most memorable moment in the event, was that, after receiving the wafer, Ricky Brown, who sat next to me, got sick, and threw up on the pew seat.  Within seconds, a nun appeared to take him away--I thought he was going to be tortured--while another appeared with a large portion of incense, and covered the vomit with it, so it looked like a graveyard mound.  I had to spend the last several minutes of the mass looking at this, knowing what was underneath.



                                      It was a communion like no other.  But I still recall it vividly.



                                      And this was a good five years, before seeing Jennifer Jones in "The Song Of Bernadette."

2 comments:

Victoria said...

oh dear.
one of those experiences you Never Forget.
I’m sure David has told you about the Family Guy episode where Stewie throws up communion and the church people think he is demon possessed, so the Griffins flee to Texas, where Stewie becomes a Beauty Pageant Girl.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Yes, he has. But now I look back on this event with some humor.
My intro to Catholicism was far from "The Song Of Bernadette."