Followers

Monday, August 5, 2019

How Did Tillie, From Coney Island, Make It All The Way Down To Asbury Park, New Jersey??????????????

                                                      Like the discussion on "Mulholland Drive" I have been promising, I am also promising a full account of our Sunday trip to Ocean Grove, and Asbury Park.

                                                        Now, ever since I have been living in Brooklyn, for almost over 20 year, darlings, with a 15 year stop in Woodside, Coney Island has been my amusement area of choice, and this face, Tillie is all over the place.   In Coney, Tillie is named after George J. Tilyou, who owned the original Steeplechase Park.

                                                         During the winter of 1955-56, Tillie found himself painted onto the Palace Apartments in Asbury Park, New Jersey, and the Wonder Bar Arcade.  Now, I spent many childhood summers in Asbury, when I thought it the most magical place in the world, but amazingly enough, I never noted Tillie.

                                                          Well, he is still there, amid crumbling buildings, which recall, to me, now, a Summer version of Sondheim's "Follies."
THIS is the Asbury Park, I remember.  It sure has changed in 46 years, and  not for the better.

The magic is gone, except for Tillie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you, Tillie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: