Followers

Thursday, January 30, 2020

A Surprise Delight, And A Kind Of Beacon Of Hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            The best thing about seeing "The Office! A Musical Parody," at the Jerry Orbach Theatre last Saturday, was my David was tickled pink over his birthday gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          And, I am telling you, the way the day started out, with us leaving at noon for a 2PM matinee, in a downpour rivaling "The Rains Of Ranchipur," I was drenched, and nervous we would not make it on time!  Oh, my God, what if we did not?  My lovely birthday gift ruined!  You know, I would just get hysterical.

                                            I was beginning to, anyway, as David was taking in the laundry, I was in the downpour, when I hear this car horn beeping.  It was our next door neighbor, Dan, who said he was going into Manhattan, and, when he heard where we were going, drove us straight from our neighborhood, in Brooklyn, to the entrance door of the theatre.

                                               As for the show, it was delightful.  As I watched it, I was reminded of how there used to be places--Village Vanguard, Village Gate, Upstairs At The Downstairs--where up and comers could perform little vignettes on their way to Broadway.  This show reminded me of those days--it was funny, the songs were promising because they had some originality to them, and the cast was superb.

                                                Sarah Mackenzie Baron (is she any relation to Sacha Baron Cohen?) played Michael Scott (the Steve Carell role) with the aplomb of a butch lesbian, which gave some scenes an unexpected lesbian tinge to them.  Not to mention the woman has a Broadway voice that should...well...be on Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                   But the entire ensemble worked well, and, even though the whole bat thing had to be explained to me later, I found it funny in the watching.  Kudos to Donald Garverick and authors Toby and Bob McSmith.  These are the kind of up and comers we need to give Broadway back its flash of lightning that seems to be missing in what is in most of its current offerings today.

                                                     So, if you want a jolt of musical theater hope, visit "The Office! A  Musical Parody" for some rejuvenation, and to test if your workplace is as crazy as this!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                      Darlings, in my last several years there, mine exceeded it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: