Followers

Friday, January 17, 2020

Guess What Opened Last Night, 56 Years Ago, On Broadway??????????????????


                              I have no idea what is playing at the St. James Theatre now, and if something is, then I don't care about it, as I do not know.  But, 56 years ago last night, Carol Channing took her first walk down the steps of Harmonia Gardens in "Hello, Dolly!"  With a company including David Burns, Eileen Brennan, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Alice Playten.  Find me a cast of that caliber today!

                               I was only 9 when it opened, and I recall it vividly.  It was the show of the day.  It made history when it surpassed the run of "My Fair Lady."  And Carol, forevermore, was Dolly.

                                I finally saw Channing do it at the Lunt-Fontanne, with Lee Roy Reams as Cornelius, back in 1978.  I count myself lucky to have seen her.

                                  I am certain many theater queens played their 'Dolly' cast albums last night. And why not?  It is a vintage musical from a vintage age, when shows were exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Not like today, dolls!

No comments: