Followers

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Does "The New York Times," Or Anyone, Still Do "The 100 Neediest Cases" At Christmas????????????????????


                           Real heavy topic, girls.   Yeah, I know.  When I was young, and newspapers were all hard copy, I used to read about "The 100 Neediest Cases" in The Times each year, to kind of reassure myself, and thank God I was not in that position. 



                            Now, having lived in New York forty years--yes, darlings!!!!!!!!--I have seen these situations in reality.  Whenever I see something like the above, I give money, emphasizing to the person that some of it must go toward the dog.



                              Back in the Eighties, when I was boarding the R train at Union Square and reading "Les Misérables" prior to the original's Broadway arrival, I passed a toothless woman and a child in need.  I guessed they were mother and daughter, in rags, and at first, I passed them by.  But then a voice inside me said, "In another time, this would have been Fantine and Cosette.  Would you turn your back on them?"  So, I listened, and gave the woman and child as much help as I was capable of giving at the time.



                              We don't know everyone's story; there are probably more than a million stories now in "The Naked City," and we don't know how things may turn out for any one of us.  Certainly, giving at all times of the year is important, but I think it should be stressed now, as these unfortunates see happy people shopping for expensive presents, which I am sure they wished they had for themselves or their pets.  And the weather is cold.



                                Even a dollar, darlings, could make a difference to these people.  And the poor animals.



                                Remember "The Little Drummer Boy," darlings?  It is not the quantity that one gives, but the heartfulness behind the gift given.



                                  So, especially this time of year, when seeing someone like the picture above, give what you can.



                                   It does make a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




                             

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Bless you for giving what you could.
The Bible has a lot to say about Sacrificial Giving!!
and you know what I’M fond of saying, “just because you can’t help Everyone, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t help ANYONE!!!”

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I try my best if I see someone in genuine need.
So many pose like they are in need but may not be.
They make it harder for those who actually are.