Girls, I have not yet seen the Florence Pugh 2026 "East Of Eden," but I am not satisfied with how Zoe Kanzan--what nerve!!!!!!!!!!--had the temerity to soften Cathy's narrative impact to bring her story into the Me-Too movement, where it does not belong.
Cathy Ames, the Eve of John Steinbeck's "East Of Eden" is the most evil woman in American literature. A while back, I wrote a post asking what the worst thing was Cathy did. I said it was driving her Latin teacher, James Grew, a failed seminarian, to suicide by sexual manipulation, which he both wanted but felt guilty over, leading him to kill himself. She did this when she was only 14.
I know Florence Pugh is the acting toast of the moment as Cathy, but is her Cathy really Steinbeck's or Kazan's? It will be interesting to find out.
Now, as to Scarlett O'Hara, she is both pure Margaret Mitchell and pure Vivien Leigh. The worst thing she does is marry her sister's beau, Frank Kennedy. But then she did it to keep a roof over everyone's heads. and, girls, let's face it, with Sue's pinched look, had Frank not come along, she would have been an old maid anyway.
No, Scarlett is not even on the same level as Cathy Ames; the latter is actually closer to Veda Pierce. Now, the word bitch is very overused, and with the women I have mentioned has been used extensively. But Cathy, by Steinbeck, is by far the worst.
I can't tell you mor about Pugh, until I see it. But my expectations are not high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment