Followers

Friday, October 9, 2026

This Film Foreshadowed Both "Nashville" And "Network!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                   I would bet you dollars and donuts, girls, that before Robert Altman and Paddy Chaeyefsky created their masterworks, at some point prior, they had seen this 1957 film, directed by Elia Kazan.



                                      I had heard of "A Face In The Crowd" for years, but had no idea until yesterday, when I finally saw it, of its impact.


                                      Andy Griffith gives the performance of his life.  Forget Sheriff Taylor of Mayberry, he should have followed this path, maybe becoming a great actor and not a sitcom icon.  Patricia Neal is as usual brilliant, and the title comes from her character's radio program, which showcases unknown people.  Griffith is both game and fool enough to allow it to propel him to extremes.


                                         They are supported by Walter Matthau, Lois Nettleton, and, in her film debut, a young Lee Remick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                            This is one of the best screen examinations of the corruption of fame.  Be careful what you wish for, darlings!  The ending is haunting, and the final shot masterful.  I could not stop thinking about this film for hours.  The amazing thing was how it was overlooked when it came out--no Oscars or critics' awards!  Was it ahead of its time?  Or was America just as dumb as I suspect it always was?  Think about that one, girls!



                                                  Speaking of Andy Griffith and what he does here, it made me think of one other show cast member.


                                                   What if Frances Bavier had done "The Killing Of Sister George?"


                                                      Now, that would have been a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments: