Followers

Friday, July 11, 2014

Oh, My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trini Alvarado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              The day that I saw "Runaways" on Broadway--May 13, 1978--turned out to be one of the most memorable and tragic days in my life.  It was the day, when I got home, that I learned my cousin Bart, had died in an auto accident, at what (I was only 23, and a very YOUNG 23) I still thought of as the ancient age of 30!!!!!!!!  Now, I think, "Boy, that was young!"

                                There was a lot for me to take in, with "Runaways."  One of my best theater experiences ever, and I still say that.  But the one who impressed me the most, if you look at the photo, is the girl, front, to the left, in a sweater.  This was Melinda, played by Trini Alvarado, and again, "Oh, my God!" With hair resembling Judy Garland as Dorothy in Oz, that yellow sweater, Catholic School girl uniform and pants, she was the picture of innocence. But, when she stepped forward, to begin her solo number, "Lullaby From Baby To Baby," I  could not believe what I was hearing. Out of this little girl came this sultry voice that suggested a life hard lived!  I couldn't believe it.  Occasionally, I find myself singing 'Lullaby,' but I am someone who has lived life, and my sultriness cannot quite match Trini's. Whose could? With this, she became a Legend Of The Musical Stage!!!!!!!  But it is more remarkable that she did this at the age of 11!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you hear me, girls, 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Thanks to Seth Rudetsky's brilliant deconstruction, I was happy to discover that I am not the only one for years, who has been obsessed with "Lullaby From Baby To Baby!"

                                      But now, it is time to share!  What should I share first?

                                       The first is the entire song itself, which is remarkable!  I agree with Seth on Trini's placement of "Tomorrow," but her sultriness, especially on "Out on the New Jersey turnpike road........" is just amazing, when you think it is emerging from an 11-year- old  Listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         OK, you have listened!  Now, look at the Technicolor photo above!  This is the excerpt from "Runaways" that was done on the 1978 TONY Awards, (I think I have posted this before, but it is worth a look again!!!!!!!!!!!) and not only can you hear how brilliant Trini is, but you can see for yourselves. And watch for a young girl in the bleachers, who sings "A woman gets a job in New York City!"
That is Josie De Guzman, who, with her solo rendition of "No Lullabies" for Luis" in this show, (which I wish I could get for you!!!!!) established herself as the most compelling voice in Musical Theater!  Just listen!

                                         Now, having heard all that, listen to Seth Rudetsky's brilliant deconstruction of it all!  Trini and Josie get their due, believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           I am so happy to share this with all of you, and that Seth and I share this obsession!!!!!!!!!!!   Maybe it will lead "Runaways" to be rediscovered, as it should!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            We love you, Trini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: