Followers

Friday, July 18, 2014

Yesterday Was A Black Day For Theater Queens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                 
                                                         "The ones who follow the rules,
                                                           And meet themselves at the schools,
                                                           Too busy to know that they're fools,
                                                           Aren't they a gem?  I'll drink to them!
                                                           Let's ALL drink to them!"
                                                         --Elaine Stritch as Joanne, from "The
                                                        Ladies Who Lunch," in "Company" (1970),
                                                        Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim


                               Elaine Stritch's passing yesterday was also a painful reminder that the icons of our youth are swiftly vanishing, reminding us, even further, of our own mortality.  At 89, having been ravaged by alcoholism and diabetes, the woman, as is said in the business, had a good run.

                                 When "Company" opened on Broadway, at the Alvin Theatre, in 1970, I was all of 15, did not know who Elaine Stritch was, and was  occupied with more pressing concerns, like getting through high school and navigating my way out of an environment I  already knew I was not suited for.  But, when that world expanded, as I got to college, and met many like minded folk, I can recall the first time I put  on the cast album of "Company."  I was off and running.

                                     I loved all the vocal overlapping of the title number, the opening; so much so, I tried to figure out what each and every person was singing.  I would listen to snippets over and over.  When I thought I had it all in place, I would put the album--these were the vinyl days, darlings!!!!!!!--on, and try to sing the title song with the Original Cast!  I would practice "Getting Married Today" as a speech exercise; I was always referred to as a fast talker, but this challenged me.  Then there was Pam Myers, and "Another Hundred People."  Enough said.

                                    But, amidst the title tune would stand out this voice that I can only say sounded somewhat north--but not much--of Bea Arthur.  That was Elaine Stritch, and, of course, her rendition of "The Ladies Who Lunch," which became her signature tune, unmatched by anyone who has done it since, even the likes of La Lu Pone, (though I, personally, would love to hear Kelly Bishop do it!!!!!!!!!) was a work of art I, at that tender age, would have been afraid to attempt.  Not so now, darlings, though it is not one of my favorites to sing; I still think it should be left to Elaine.

                                    When I was in grad school, I was writing a paper on "The Member Of The Wedding," and, in my research came across an article from a Michigan paper, touting two girls from adjacent towns, coming to NYC to try and make it in theater.  Their names were Elaine Stritch and Julie Harris!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     I had the pleasure of seeing Elaine on stage three times.  The first, back in 1985, was the Philharmonic's " 'Follies' In Concert," with Barbara Cook and Lee Remick, among others!  Elaine Strtich did the role of Hattie Walker, who sings "Broadway Baby!"  Perfect!  When she delivered the line, "I haven't danced in 30 years," it brought down the house! And when she stepped forward to sing "Broadway Baby," the audience wouldn't let her go on, so wild was their acknowledgement.  The orchestra just kept playing the opening vamp, until things settled down.

                                      Then there was "A Delicate Balance," which she did, in 1996.  I had a Center Orchestra seat, and, just because of where I sat, and how Elaine positioned herself as her character, there was this moment where I could look straight up her dress!  Yikes!  I mean, I love Elaine; I'm gay, but if I hadn't been, I sure as hell would have, then!  Six years later, in 2002, came "Elaine Stritch--At Liberty," and that is where  I learned about the alcoholism and diabetes.  What a trouper!

                                        Of course, I am saving the best for last--"Who Killed Teddy Bear?"  Girls, I am telling you, you have  got to see this one!  What a cast--Elaine, Sal Mineo, Juliet Prowse, and Jan Murray.  And it was produced by Phoebe Cates' father, Gilbert, and directed by her uncle, Joseph!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a pedigree!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        I am telling you, girls, this has to be seen to be believed!  And its title song!!!!!!!!!!
Why wasn't it Oscar nominated??????????   And why hasn't the Fringe Festival tried to do a musical rendering of it????????  It is ripe for the choosing!

                                        I love the story Elaine told when her agent was selling her on the part.  "You get to play a lesbian, who gets murdered!"  "I'll take it!," she said, without a beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          Yes, darlings, Elaine was game for anything, and look where it took her.  Maybe she should serve as a lesson to all aspiring actors!  Hey, just ask Betsy Palmer!!!!!!
                                      Rest In Peace, Elaine!  You will be missed!

                                      Now, when is the Film Forum going to show "Who Killed Teddy Bear?????????"

1 comment:

Videolaman said...

Actually, Film Forum did run "Who Killed Teddy Bear?" some twenty years ago: that was my first exposure to it! Then came a few runs as a TCM midnight staple, then it faded back into obscurity.

The movie is a fascinating time capsule of mid-1960s NYC, esp the many long takes shot in Times Square (which convey more NYC grit, soul and character than anything in "Midnight Cowboy").

Tho for sheer perverse laughs, nothing beats the scene where Elaine Stritch tries to seduce the hysterically anxious Juliet Prowse. Stritch practically smothers Prowse in her bra, clutching at her and commanding "let it out, baby, let it all out, yeah, you're a sweet baby, arentcha? sweet sweet baby!"

When Prowse finally realizes whats up, and tries to tactfully disengage, Stritch's reaction is textbook clueless-predator-blames-the-victim: "you've got a sick mind, baby, a filthy twisted sick mind!" Stritch then stalks off into a dark alley, toward her required doom, as any good gay character knew to do in every American movie made before 1999.

At least Stritch met her demise at the hands of hotter-than-hot Sal Mineo, in a Hells Kitchen back alley, while dressed in nothing but a fabulous fur coat and a white slip. There are worse ways to go...