Followers

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Farewell To The Uncola Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                           For TV viewers of a certain age, Geoffrey Holder was the "Uncola Man," when 7-Up was being billed as that drink.  But for theater queens, he was a genuine artist--director, designer, painter, whose work I saw on display in two splashy shows during the 70's--"The Wiz," (1975) which, at first, I swore I would never see, but then was so bedazzled by what I saw, not to mention witnessing Stephanie Mills' star making turn, (which Miss Mills still, on occasion, performs!!!!!!!!!!!) that I immediately went out and bought the Cast Album. To this day, I occasionally sing "If You Still Believe," originated by Dee Dee Bridgewater, winning for her a TONY Award in a role for which she was on stage for barely five minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Geoffrey's direction, and costumes, were knockouts.  And the show was a hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Until "A Chorus Line" hit Broadway, you practically had to sell your soul to get 'Wiz' tickets. I saw it early on, so I was lucky!  And then there was that commercial, with "Ease On Down The Road!"

                           Three years later, 1978, Geoffrey worked the same magic with a reworking of "Kismet."  Using the Richard Wright score, it was renamed"Timbuktu," and featured Melba Moore, Eartha Kitt, and a young man for whom this was to be his springboard to Broadway fame, but did not go anywhere--Ira Hawkins.  Neither did "Timbuktu"--go anywhere, that is!!!!!!!!!!   But the show was visually dazzling and the lush score was rapturous.  To this day, I recall a pettit Melba Moore standing beneath a huge tree, the top of which encircled the entire stage, which served to make her look more pettit, while singing "Stranger In Paradise."

                              How sad I was to hear Geoffrey succumbed to pneumonia at 84!  I thought he was older; he had been around so long.  I feel lucky to have seen some his noteworthy achievements in the time they were created.  He will be missed by Theater Queens everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 And by those who still drink 7-Up!

No comments: