Followers

Monday, February 13, 2017

"Asylum" Is So Much Fun, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                        When I purchased this book, the cover and subject matter obviously drew me in.   It was not till I actually picked it up to read that I realized it was actually a YA (Young Adult) book.  As I began, and now, having read it, I am not sure if it is suited for them. My great-
niece, Fiona, falls under this group, and I would hesitate recommending it to her, because I feel it
might be too clinical and intense.

                                          Of course, it was just perfect for me.  I think the author's intent was to give younger readers a more palpable version of what Ryan Murphy dishes out on "American Horror Story."

                                           "Asylum" is full of weird characters, including a female psychology professor, whom I would advise readers to keep their eyes on, as it seems she is going for the Louise Fletcher Award.  She isn't there, yet, but she is on her way.

                                              The lead characters are a teen trio--Dan Crawford, Abby Valdez, and Jordan, all sixteen, who are attending a summer scholastic camps for advanced students.  Just like what Janice Gonnella attended the year her mother found her using a diaphragm!!!!!!!!!!!

                                               Eerie things beginning happening to all of them, and people around them, like Jordan's roommate, Yi, and Felix Sheridan, who rooms with Dan.  What is stranger is that all the happenings connect back to Dan, Abby, and Jordan, who, in some ways have backgrounds connected to what the camp used to be--a former mental asylum.  Now, it is a college.  But is it?????????

                                                That last question is what makes "Asylum" such a page turner.  Not only that, it is the first in a series, and, on the basis of Roux's strength here, it is a series I am ready to follow.

                                                 Because if I don't find out what happens next, darlings, it will drive me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: