Followers

Friday, April 24, 2020

A Fascinating Chronicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                          From about 1894, until 1929, Orphan Trains, transporting homeless youth to people in the Midwest, who either really wanted children for their own sake, or for slave labor, was in operation. And some of the displays were conducted like slave auctions.

                                            I have had this book sitting in my pile for years.  I never thought I would get around to reading it, though I kept it, but, then, I never anticipated a pandemic which would keep me housebound, either.

                                              Several of the characters are chronicled as children, and later find each other, in life. But the real story is between 91-year-old Vivian, a wealthy matriarch, and Goth teen Molly, who could not be more from the wrong side of the tracks.  This unlikely pairing, and the bond these two form, made "Orphan Train," coupled with the historic detail a definitive fictional chronicling of this sad period in history.

                                                 I recommend it to YA readers, and on up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: