Followers

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Ruthie, You Are Getting Better, But There Is Still Room For Improvement!


                                     A girls' private school on the British sea coast, a cottage, a group of girls in teenage and adulthood, "The Lying Game" has scandals of all sorts, for girls of all types.  I simply loved it, darlings, but I have to say, Ruthie, for all that I love her writing, does not know what to do with her books.  In "The Woman In Cabin 10," everything after the big reveal was a disappointment.  Here, there is one revelation after another, which is fast and furious, and keeps the story going, except I had not realized that Ruthie had no idea how to end the book.  I kept seeing points where it could have ended, but did not.  The ending, when it came was satisfying, but it could have arrived sooner.

                                     The girls/women--Kate, Fatima, Thea, and Isa--are interesting characters; it is amazing how much, in this novel, they nosh on fish n' chips, and retain their figures.  And I have never read a novel where a baby, Isa's daughter, Freya, is used as an accessory, and placed in all sorts of jeopardy.

                                        Every human vice, save lesbianism, is explored, but when all is said and done, I was left a bit disappointed.  The book is fun while being read, but does not stay with one.

                                           I will have to try "In A Dark, Dark Wood," next.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

I have not read any of her books; she’s been compared to Agatha Christie, so I am afraid I would have unrealistic expectations.
I think I saw the movie though.
Many years ago.

Victoria said...

Correction it was a tv series, not a movie.
And it was based on Sara Shepherd’s The Lying Game, not Ruth Ware’s!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
I never heard of Sara Shepherd, or
that there was a similar title. How
was it? Worth reading?

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Yes, she has been compared to Christie,
though I don't see it. Agatha is still
a touch act to follow.

Victoria said...

She’s known for her YA series, “Pretty Little Liars”

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

I have heard of "Pretty Little Lies," but never
read it. Is it worth it?

Victoria said...

Yes!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Thanks. I will add it to my list!