Followers

Monday, October 25, 2021

I Will Always Remember This Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        Forty six years ago today, when it was a Saturday, and I was--gasp!--20, my father and I saw the Original Cast of "A Chorus Line," at the Shubert Theatre.



                                          I sailed into the city for tickets, as soon as I heard it was moving from  The  Public.  My father asked me to get a ticket for him,  too, as he wanted to see it.  I was surprised that he would want to see what was then so contemporary a show.



                                            It was a day neither of us forgot.  Donna McKechnie blew us both away, and the show was a turning point  in my life.  Sammy Williams' monologue was brilliantly performed, and heartbreaking.  Not to mention the secret I was carrying; earlier that week, in college, I had my "first  time," and I kept wondering if  my father knew.



                                              As long as he lived,  we talked about how wonderful that "Chorus Line" afternoon was.  Each time  I see it  is a way of  bringing it back.



                                                How I wish  I  could go back  in  time, and relive the magic again.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I wish you could do that too.
I reminisce way too much about days gone by.
I get all sad and weepy.
It doesn’t help that I’ve been closed in with a Difficult husband for two years either.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I am sorry about your situation.
This blog has suffered on account of
the pandemic, though I am glad to have David
at home.

My looking back is due more, I think, to age.
I always thought this time--when my parents generation
would be gone--would be a long time. And here it is.
Where did the time go. The day I wrote about here was
one of the happiest, and I was glad I had my father
to share it with.