Followers

Friday, February 4, 2022

Girls, Join Us Tomorrow Evening, As Svengoolie Presents "It! The Terror From Beyond Space!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                                   I remember this 1958 film from childhood showings Saturday night on |Chiller Theater," on New York's Channel 11, during the early Sixties, when I was between eight and ten years old.



                                                    Even with my youthful precocity, darlings, I could not imagine this film would become the template of an even better one.  And when I first saw Ridley Scott's "Alien," when it first appeared, in 1980, this earlier film was not at all on my mental radar.



                                                     So, it will be interesting to view this, decades later, knowing this was the template for "Alien."  This film must have fascinated Ridley Scott, who saw it when he was young; obviously before me, and it jump started something in him.  The film did absolutely nothing for me, except be remotely entertaining.  And I thought the monster was so-so.



                                                      From such minutiae can film history be made.   So, join us on this nostalgic journey tomorrow, as we revisit this otherwise forgotten film.



                                                       I am telling you, right now, girls, Kerwyn is so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 



2 comments:

Victoria said...

Interesting backstory!!!
You already know how traumatized young Me was by Alien.
And Poseidon Adventure.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

I recall screaming when the stomach
broke open and the alien popped out.
Nothing that ghoulish in this one--
a basic hunt and chase story.

The Poseidon Adventure?
Really? Though come to think of it,
I am always uncomfortable on boats.