Followers

Friday, April 7, 2023

If You Don't Have A Go-To Easter Movie, Here Are Some Suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          Now, girls, anyone who has been reading on here for some time knows what MY go-to Easter movie is.  Of course, I will discuss it, but in case you may want alternatives, here are some suggestions.



                                                                               

                                   1.  "Easter Parade," 1948--For those preferring Easter with a light-hearted touch, this is the film for you.  Shot in glorious Metro Technicolor, and featuring the title tune, plus Garland and Astaire doing some of their best routines, like "When The Midnight Train Leaves For Alabam" (pictured above), and of course. the classic "We're A Couple Of Swells."  Frothy, romantic, the entire film is in itself a celluloid Easter basket.  Perfect for lighthearted viewers.


                                                                              

                            2.  "The Ten Commandments," 1956--Oh, God, what can I say?  The visuals in this film are extraordinary; they actually outdo the dialogue.  Like when Yul Brynner says, " So it is written, so it shall be done," and then, of course, Anne Baxter saying, "Oh, Moses, Moses, you wonderful, wonderful, wonderful fool!"  And don't forget Yvonne De Carlo as Sephora, and Debra Paget as Lilia.  Oh, my God, Debra Paget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Girls, just wait till you see Olive Deering as Miriam, writhing before the golden calf!  Practice makes perfect, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                           
                          3.  "The Greatest Story Ever Told," 1965--At the time, this was said to be 20th Century-Fox's most expensive film, at fifteen million dollars!  My advice to you, girls, is see this one while you are young and naive, before you realize that what is being used as a location for the Holy Land is Monument Valley, Utah, where John Ford made so many of his westerns.  I cannot believe this played over a year at the Clarridge Theater, in Montclair, New Jersey.  I was taken to see this when I was either 10 or 11, and when The Slaughter Of The Holy Innocents was dramatized on screen, I swear I ducked underneath my chair.  I was still small enough to do so.  I never want to see that again.  But the film does have one immortal moment.  When Jesus dies on the cross, and the storm starts, the camera cuts to John Wayne, as The Centurion, who utters, in those Wayne tones, "Clearly, this man was the Son Of God!!!!!!!!!!!!"  If for only this, watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                          
                         4.  "Ben-Hur," 1959--This is the flip side of 'Greatest Story', probably the finest Hollywood Biblical epic ever made.  William Wyler directed, and what a cast.  Charlton Heston deservedly won as Oscar for this, and Martha Scott and Cathy O' Donnell are moving throughout as Miriam and Tirzah, and the miracle scene--oh, my God, I wept copiously.  My parents took me to see this the Sunday Judy Garland died, and I cried through the whole thing.  Seen recently, it is a visual spectacle, and a moving, narrative film.  If looking for the best Hollywood Biblical, this is the one!



                                                                             

                      5.  "The Song Of Bernadette," 1943--You know I could not let this one go, girls, as this has been my Easter go-to movie for well over twenty years.  And it will be this Sunday.  I learned so much from this film, when I first saw it at the age of 13--Be true to what you believe, and do not let your persecutors get to you.  Oh, and those who see themselves as so holy and self-righteous may not be quite what they are at all.  Some daring lessons for a film espousing Catholic faith.  Very forward thinking for its time.  Visually gorgeous and acted, this to me is the finest religious film ever made.  If not this Sunday, make a point to watch it, especially those who have never seen it.


                        Well, there's a list for you.  Sorry, no Beatrix Potter or bunnies.  My sensitivity to animals, not to mention diabetes, prevents me from eating chocolate rabbits and such.  And now I hear certain colored Peeps--which I will never eat--can cause cancer!  I mean, OK, but don't spoil Easter for the children.


                          Have a happy one, hons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                             




                                                                            

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Great list!!!
Song of Bernadette still my favorite!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Thank you. You know 'Bernadette' is mine.
I have a medal of her around my neck all the time.