Followers

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Darlings, Join Us Tonight At 8PM, As "Svengoolie" Presents A Rarely Seen Gem, "The Uninvited.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                    This is such a treat, girls, because I have always wanted to see this, and I never thought it would turn up on "Svengoolie."  Many critics consider this the greatest ghost movie ever made, up there with 1961's "The Innocents," and 1963's "The Haunting."


                                      And it is not an original screenplay.  It is based on a British novel by writer Dorothy Macardle, called "Uneasy Freehold."  It was published in America as "The Uninvited," clearly the better title, and used for the film.


                                      What a sterling cast this has!  Ray Milland, Gail Russell, (Whose life and career was tragic, and who was in a film which scared me as a child, which I will discuss in the future, called "The Unseen," released in 1946.  Is it a lost film?  I am not sure!) Donald Crisp, Ruth Hussey, Dorothy Stickney, Cornelia Otis Skinner, and Alan Napier, later known as Alfred on TV's Sixties show, "Batman."


                                        All I know is that Milland and Russell play two siblings who purchase a house in Cornwall, England, plagued by a series of supernatural events.  The 1944 black-and-white cinematography looks lush, and this could promise to be the highlight of the "Svengoolie" season.  I know it is the best offering he has this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                          So join us at eight tonight, and watch this seldom seen classic.  Little Pippin is so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                             I advise you not to bring your Ouija boards, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     


                                      

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I’ve certainly had a few brushes with the supernatural; I know you have too!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Oh, yes I have. So I found the movie both
scary and plausible. Wonderful blacm and white
cinematography.