Followers

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

"Your Golden Sun Will Shine For Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


 

                                                                                  


                         When Tony Bennett left this world on July 21, 2023, just 13 days before his 97th birthday, the first thing I thought of was my mother.  "I Left My Heart In San Francisco," which became one of his signature songs, was released in 1962.  I was 7 years old, and the family turntable was downstairs in our front room, in the right-hand corner near the bookshelves.  I used to sit there and listen to all my songs, Disney Story Records, and film soundtracks.  Once I switched to folk and rock, with puberty, the turntable went up to my room.



                           But in 1962, my mother bought a 45rpm of Tony Bennett singing the song mentioned above.  It was her favorite song, and the more I heard it, the more I appreciated Bennett's voice.  As an adult I can say this now, but probably could be shot--his voice was better than Sinatra's and lasted longer.  



                          Back to San Francisco.  When we went there, in 1964, it became my mother's favorite city.  She was so enamored of it, I thought we might move there!  Imagine, me, a West Coast kid.  Hard to envision now.



                            All of this came back to me when I heard of Bennett's passing.  He was an icon, who leaves behind an incredible legacy.  And he was in the 1966 trash classic "The Oscar," featuring Stephen Boyd and Elke Sommer, two live wires, and all-around great actors!  Duh!  Bennett was the only good thing in it.



                              I bid a sad farewell to Tony Bennett.  But not before I leave you with a recording of my favorite song of his.

                             Rest In Peace, Tony Bennett.  Your talent is now ours to treasure indefinitely.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I enjoyed my visit to San Francisco.
At the same time, I was very concerned about some of the issues I saw.
Concerned about California as a whole.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Thanks for the wake up call. My memories of
San Francisco and California go back to 1964.
I was only 9.