Followers

Saturday, March 13, 2021

Still The Greatest Novel In The English Language!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                      "I was only going to  say that heaven did not                                                                                                        seem to be my home; and I broke my heart                                                                                              with  wanting  to come  back  to earth; and the                                                                                                     angels were so angry that they flung  me                                                                                                out to the  middle of  the heath on the top of                                                                                                          Wuthering Heighs, where I woke  sobbing                                                                                             for joy."--Emily Bronte, "Wuthering Heights,"                                                                                                      1848.


                                                       Now  tell  me,  girls, who writes like this?  Who can?  Who ever could???????????


                                                          No one, that is, except  Emily Bronte.


                                                          "Wuthering Heights" is the  greatest novel in the English language, for two reasons.  Emily  Bronte,  as no  one else has, was  somehow able  to transfom  poetry into  prose. The novel  is not wirtten  in verse, but its lyricism is there, from first sentence to last.  Its lasting  stature  stems from a narrative impossible to pin down--supernatural? ghostly? macabre? Gothic?, psychosexual? metaphysical?  All have been attributed to "Wuthering Heights," and yet, even though this was my tenth  reading, I still cannot pin it down.  Which is why I am  sure Emily Bronte wanted  it  that way.  The most enigmatic of her siblings, it is no wonder her work should be as equally enigmatic.


                                                                Anyone having read "Wuthering Heights" will get what  I am talking about.  Anyone who has not--well,  what  are  you waiting for????????????????????????


                                                                 Finishing the novel is like the passage quoted.  I  felt  as though  I myself had gone to heaven,  and were dropped by angels on the top of Wuthering Heighgs, where I sobbed  for joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                   The only problem with finishing this novel is what to read net!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                                     Nothing........I mean, nothing.........comes close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          

             

                                        

                                        

                                                           

                                                   

2 comments:

Victoria said...

It was too intense for me when I was young; I had to take breaks from reading it.

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

Agreed. But nobody has written like this
before or since. The intensity draws me in!