Followers

Friday, September 2, 2022

Back In 1968, "Oliver!" Was A Life Changing Experience For Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              When "Oliver!" opened, in December 1968, at the Loew's State I Theatre, ("Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" was at Loew's State II) the critics went wild. "TIME Magazine," whose review I was always quoting to my parents, practically said it was the year's best film.  On the morning the reviews were posted, my friend Doug, before school, called me up with the review from the "NY Daily News."  We both screamed into the phone, "It got four stars--FOUR STARS! --by Wanda Hale!"  Not only that, but she also said, "'Oliver1' is the best musical I have ever seen!"  I had never heard anyone say that.



                                                 After that, I was psyched.  I had to see "Oliver!" and ASAP!  Because it was playing in Manhattan on a reserved seat basis, that meant it was a very big deal--these were called "roadshows," and they don't exist anymore--so then by the time the film got out to the suburbs where I was then living, it would take two or more years.  I wanted to see it NOW!



                                                   So, I kept at my parents.  Christmas came and went, then one Friday, post-Christmas, after all the presents, tree, and decorations had been put away, my father, at dinner, placed into my hand a small envelope, inside of which were three tickets for the next day to a screening of "Oliver!" in New York!  I was so excited!



                                                      We took the bus into the city next morning.  I was so dazzled by Times Square, with all the film posters--"Oliver!," "Romeo And Juliet!", "Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang!," and a special re-issue poster of "Gone with The Wind," then playing at the Rivoli.  At my age, it was like walking into a movie wonderland, and it helped crystalize my desire to eventually live in New York.  Though I did not know it at the time, my cultural erudition was being formed; 1968 was also the year I saw for the first time both "Gone With The Wind," and "The Song Of Bernadette."



                                                          As for "Oliver!," I knew from the start it would be special.  The titles are done against Victorian sketches, and the set design and costumes were as accurate as having stepped from a color illustrated Dickens novel.  To this day, I am convinced Oliver Reed as Bill Sikes was not really acting.  I was scared of him and thought I would never want to work with him.  The perfection of Mark Lester, Ron Moody, and Jack Wild deservedly earned the last two their Oscar nominations, and Shani Wallis is still the best Nancy I have ever seen.  Best of all was Onna White's choreography, which I had never seen put to such advantage, especially in "Consider Yourself," 'Oom Pah Pah!," and the number from this musical that always blows me away, "Who Will Buy?"  As I said in my last post, I would see "Oliver!" anywhere, but just look at how it was handled on film--

                                   Oh, my God, isn't this brilliant?  And on screen it grows and grows.  By the time the film ended, I had to be lifted from my seat.  I had been transported.  And I agreed with Wanda Hale--it was the best musical I had ever seen!



                                  "Oliver!" is one of those films that was meant to be seen on the big screen.  But with today's advent of wide computer screens and high-definition television, it may be possible to re-experience the magic again.  I watched two numbers on this screen, and I felt the magic.  When the film was shown on the small network television those my age grew up with, it did not quite work.



                                     There is talk of re-making this.  But why, when it was gotten so right the first time?  And no finer cast for the roles could ever be assembled again.  Though it takes some liberties with Dickens that work, this, for me, is the definitive telling of "Oliver Twist."  And probably, in our culture, the best known!



                                         How I long to see this film again.  As for comments, I would love to hear from anyone, still alive, who was in the "Who Will Buy," or "Oom! Pah! Pah!" numbers.  What was it like, filming those?



                                            I am "Oliver!" charged, darlings!



                                            As a lyric says,


                                           "Nobody has to be la-de-dah, or uppity,                                                                                                        There's a cuppa tea, for all!"


                                          How I long once more to drink from the "Oliver!" cup!

                                 Here is the full sequence of "Who Will Buy."  Watch this, enlarge it full screened, and be transported by nine of the most magical minutes ever experienced in musical film!


                                  My God, the camera placement alone!

                                             

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Anyone with a beating heart has to be affected by OLIVER

Victoria said...

Well, okay, my brother in law claimed he was indifferent.
And he has many redeeming qualities lol

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Maybe your brother-in-law is not a
Dickens fan. It does have some
rather dark moments.