Followers

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Darlings, Important Theatrical News From ENCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      Just the other day, girls, I was musing to David, and anyone who would listen, that I saw nothing theatrically exciting coming up for the 2022-23 season.  Then ENCORES! announced its season, and oh, my God!



                                                                              

                                      The first production to be presented will be "The Light In The Piazza," which I have not seen since its original Broadway production, back in 2005!  My God, that is 17 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It will be performed February 1-5, 2023.  Ruthie Ann Miles, who won a TONY for Lady Thiang in the recent "King And I" revival, back in 2015, will be playing the Victoria Clark role of the mother; I cannot wait to see her swirling onto the stage, singing the opening number, "Statues And Stories."  Oh, my God!  But who will play the special needs daughter, Clara, made so memorable by Kelli O' Hara?  ENCORES! generally casts well, so it will be interesting to see what sort of company is assembled for this heartrending, yet rather sophisticated, show!


                                                                            

                                             From March 15 to 19, ENCORES! will present "Dear World."  There was supposedly an Off-Broadway production with Tyne Daly, a one-night only concert, back in 2005, so, as far as I am concerned, not only have I never seen this, but it has also not been revived since Angela Lansbury, Jane Connell, and Milo O'Shea opened it at the Mark Hellinger Theatre on February 6, 1969.  It is a musical version of Jean Giraudoux's "The Madwoman Of Chaillot," and features the title song, "I Don't Want To Know" (which I have performed) and "Garbage," among other Jerry Herman tunes.  Angela Lansbury won a second TONY for this, even though it ran about four months.  Donna Murphy is taking on Lansbury's role, which should be exciting, and I will be curious what cast members surround her.  David is especially excited to see this show, and I don't think he is alone among us out there!


                                                  Now, the last show ENCORES! is doing this season is the one I am most excited about.  It has the longest run--May 3-14--and is a personal favorite of mine, for reasons I will go into in the next post.  Any of you, having been on here, that think it is "ANNIE," would be on the right track--sort of!  


                                                     It looks like a perfect ENCORES! season.  The results will tell, but this is one of their few lineups where I have wanted to see every production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                      See you on the aisle, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

                                          

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Sounds like the best season Ever for Encores!!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

It may very well be. And I want to
be there. We might miss 'Piazza' but
David is as crazy about "Dear World" as
I am about "Oliver!"

Victoria said...

DONNA MURPHY as Countess Aurelia!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

I think that is a great choice.
She will make it her own, rather than
copy Angela Lansbury.