Followers

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Girls, I Want To Tell You, This Film Was Such A Disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             I know how much I have mentioned on here how I want to see "Curucu, Beast Of The Amazon."  I kept wishing "Svengoolie" would show it.  It has Beverly Garland in it, and the poster suggests something really terrifying.



                                Well, I saw the film finally a few weeks back.  To add insult to injury it was a black-and-white print.  But, after viewing the entire film, I can say the poster outdoes the movie.


                        Here is Curucu.  He is supposed to be a giant, walking parrot with claws, that kills people.  While color enhances him, this is the most ridiculous monster I have seen since Tabanga, in 1957's "From Hell It Came."  'Curucu' was made in 1956, so maybe the makers of "From Hell It Came" were influenced by it.  I don't know why, because, actually, "From Hell It Came" has a better story!


                          There is a big reveal, which I won't expose, that ruined the entire film for me.  But it had one thing going for it.
                                       Girls, you have got to see the scene where Beverly Garland is asleep in her tent, and awakens, staring straight into the face of Curucu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The scream is loud, but, honestly, her mouth is open so wide one can practically see her tonsils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As usual, Bev gives it all to whatever crap she appears in.  This brief moment elevates the entire film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                       To think this was released in drive-ins, on a double bill with "The Mole People>"  That film should have been top billed, not 'Curucu.'  Ah, for the days of drive-ins, where one could watch trash films, get stoned on popcorn, soda, or stuff even stronger, to convince oneself  of seeing a masterpiece.  Such days of innocence, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                           Take it from me, girls!  Skip 'Curucu.'  It is an enormous disappointment!


                           No sequel for this one, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

1 comment:

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I remember Beverly on "My Three Sons." But she is a true horror heroine. She goes at these roles like they are Shakespeare, and makes them more believable than they should be!