Followers

Saturday, April 6, 2024

"The Coworker" Was Absorbing Enough To Make Me Want To Read More Frieda McFadden! But The Ending Was Unsatisfying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                             After polishing off a Mammoth like "Shantaram," I like to ease my palate with a quick read thriller.  The title intrigued me; after all, we all have had coworker experiences, haven't we, darlings?????????????



                                               The first part of the book starts out with intrigue.  A spinster outsider named Dawn comes to work for a drug company.  Her coworker, Natalie, is the top salesperson--Dawn is the accountant--and Miss Popularity.  



                                                   But then Dawn goes missing, and Natalie finds she is being gaslit.  Why?  And by whom?



                                                   Darlings, in the second part, we learn it turns out to be a high school revenge story.  The revenge is rather justified, considering the reason for it, but when the book ends, neither Dawn nor Natalie gets justice.  In fact, there is no heroine at all, as both women, in their unique ways, turn out to be utterly despicable.



                                                       Will Natalie and Dawn return in another book?  I would love to see what each comes up with next!



                                                           McFadden does fuel the reader to go on, which is the best thing one can say about an author in this genre.



                                                               I just bought her newest book, "The Teacher."



                                                               I cannot wait to see how she skewers the American educational system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

at what point did you guess that Dawn wasn’t dead?!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I didn't. I did not see it coming. I thought it was someone from Natalie's past--which it was--only I did not see it. Same with the emails. I thought Mia was alive, not what turned out to be the truth.