Followers

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

OK, The Drama League Nominations Have Been Announced! But Two Of Broadway's Most Gifted Were Not Singled Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                           Really, girls, is this how awards season is going to play out?  The TONY Awards are going to be on June 16, and I want to see them go to the right people and productions.



                            To omit Daniel Radcliffe from his heartbreaking, aching performance in "Merrily We Roll Along--" his costars, Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez were deservedly cited, and I could not be happier for them--is criminal.  Good as Groff is, Radcliffe shines in the role of Charley Kringas, at times becoming the emotional center of the show.


                              The same goes for the divine Celia Keenan-Bolger, who shines in Paula Vogel's "Mother Play."  I recently heard Paula wrote this part for Celia, and she was smart to do so, as no other actress, except possibly the young Julie Harris, could have done it justice.  Celia is an amazing actress, with dazzling technique, and I am telling you, if it was not for her, I would not have seen the play.
Omitting her is a sin.


                                I expect Radcliffe to win Best Featured Actor In A Musical for 'Merrily'.  He deserves it, and I may have a way of proving it.  As do Groff and Mendez.




                                 Celia already has a well-earned TONY, but I would not mind her winning another, especially as she is the glue that holds this play together.


                                    Why is talent passed over in favor of so much mediocrity????????????


                                    I am sorry, dears, I could not find the proof, but I tell you this--either go see 'Merrily' or listen to Radcliffe sing "Good Thing Going" on the cast recording. It will break your heart. And seeing him doing it onstage is even more heartbreaking.  This guy deserves a TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                     

2 comments:

Victoria said...

It’s perplexing for sure. this happens Every Year, it seems.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
It does, and I just figured something out.
Chip Zien will be nominated for "Harmony," and he deserves it.
Unfortunately, he will be nominated in the Featured Actor In A Musical
category, so he will probably beat out Daniel. Damn!