I first saw this film on TV, Channel 13, and a lot of its subtlety evaded me. For instance, I had forgotten the film is an extended flashback, and that the ending, and its poignant final line is ambiguous--does Fred know about Laura's minute indiscretion, or doesn't he? I always believed he did not.
Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson are Alec Harvey and Laura Jesson, who meet in a train station tea cafe--and who continue to do so weekly for a period of time, coming to know each other in a way that would not be the same with their spouses.
But though there is a move toward intimacy, nothing happens, because both, Laura especially, are decent, morally right members of the British middle class who would rather face pain than hurt the ones they love. And good for them.
Celia Johnson gives what is perhaps the signature performance4 of her career. Her facial transitions say more about what Laura is feeling and thinking than most of the dialogue, though, by Noel Coward, it is as good as can be. Trevor Howard is achingly heartbreaking as Alec Harvey, a doctor and their final parting had me weeping. Oh, hons, this is a real tearjerker.
I am so glad I had a second chance to see "Brief Encounter."
If not one of the ten best romantic films ever made, at least in the top five, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And David Lean demonstrates he can direct more than epics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment