Followers

Friday, July 31, 2026

Oh, My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girls, Look What They Are Making A Musical Of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                              Award-winning playwright Lynn Nottage and renowned composer and lyricist John Legend are combining talents to present a musical adaptation of the Fannie Hurst classic, "Imitation Of Life."  The question is, how are they going to do it????????????


                                                 First of all, it is a limited run, from November 21 to January 3.


                                                 How in hell will they do this story today?  Will the daughter have a pink princess phone?  Will the Lana Turner character be an actress.


                                                   And what about Annie Johnson and her daughter Sarah Jane, who can pass for white?  How will this be treated?  Will it?  Or will there be something different, like maybe Sarah Jane going trans.


                                                      The show is not being presented on Broadway, but Off-Broadway at  The Shed, located at 545 West 30th Street.  Will it move from there?  Only time will tell.


                                                      My advice to you, girls, is to watch the 1959 version as soon as you can.  Because there will be no Mahalia Jackson and a too late repentant Sarah Jane throwing herself on her mother's coffin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   This is the real thing, so see it.


                                                       Ironically, this vehicle so far is the most potentially exciting offering of the new theater season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                         I can't wait to tell you girls about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                        


                                                   

                                            '        

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I must say, I’m intrigued!!
I have some of the same questions!!