The best laid film plans went awry this weekend. First, I was all set to have us watch the A-list 1957 adaptation of "Peyton Place," with Lana Turner and Hope Lange! Dinner plans curtailed that for Saturday, so we decided to watch it on Sunday evening. With Baby Gojira and Kerwyn present. But, as it turned out, only 26 minutes of the 157-minute film were actually recorded.
So, we had no choice but to watch the planned alternative, 1977's "The Turning Point," with Anne Bancroft and Shirley Maclaine. The year 1977 was a strong year for films, and while this was nominated for 11 Oscars, and in a lesser year may have picked up a few, it was completely shut out.
Not that it can't be enjoyed. This may not be the masterwork that "The Red Shoes" is but there is much pleasure to derive from it.
Having not seen it for so long, I had forgotten my favorite Anne Bancroft line. After bitchy company director Adelaide (Martha Scott) suggests to Emma (Bancroft) that she could "stage" "Sleeping Beauty" next season, Bancroft slowly rises, and blithely says, "I really must do something about my face!"
Oh, girls, how many times have we used that one? And how many times was it the truth???????????????
Then there is Lesley Brown's (as Shrley Maclaine's daughter Emilia) drunk scene, which is hilarious.
Capped off by the catfight of all catfights atop the roof of the ballet theater. I love it, and so do all us queens! Because even Bancroft and Maclaine could not keep a straight face during the filming of it!!!!!!!!!! I love when Bancroft throws her purse at Maclaine, yelling "You bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Sure, some serious topics are tackled--the world of dance versus the world of reality, the sacrifices one must make for art, the need to be driven, relationships between parents and children, friends and rivals, and Antoinette Sibley just steals the show as Sevilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The Turning Point" is hilarious, artistic fun! Who steals the show from whom in this one, hum, darlings?????????????????????????????????
Now, if you will excuse me, "I really must do soemthing about my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments:
Post a Comment