Followers

Monday, September 10, 2012

I Had A Dream, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                               No, lambs, I am not about to step into the role of Mama Rose in "Gypsy," though you know I am just champing at the bit to do so.  As you may know, the musical  "Annie",  which first opened on Broadway 35 years ago, in 1977, is coming to town next month in a revival, and while some out there may be excited, I cannot help but wonder.

                                You know you are getting old when you start to remember the Original Production of a show that is being revived. And such is the case with "Annie," for I did see the Original Production, with its Original Cast!!!!!!!!!!  I almost didn't, though.  Back in 1977, I was finishing up my undergraduate career in college.  When I heard about this musical, "Annie" that was supposed to open that April, I was, like, "Who the hell would want to see that?"  I had never been a fan of the comic strip, and my only real exposure to Little Orphan Annie was the impersonation comedian Chuck McCann would do of her on his Sunday morning children's show, on Channel 11, back in the 60's!!!!!!!!!!

                                  Even with the name Mike Nichols attached to it, the show did not grab me. Well, all that changed the night of the TONY Awards.  "Annie" had been nominated for a bunch--the reviews had been good, and Annie, originally, was played by someone I was already familiar with--Andrea McArdle--  having seen her for years as Wendy Wilkins, daughter of that viperous bitch, Stephanie Wilkins, played by Marie Cheatham, on the CBS soap, "Search For Tomorrow."  The "Annie" segment of the TONY Awards was so galvanizing, I knew I HAD to see the show!  I also wanted to be in it; I wanted to be Diana Barrows, who played Tessie, the orphan.  No matter that I was already 22 at this time, I wanted to play Tessie!!!!!!!!! And I still do!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    The next day, I high tailed it into the City, and made straight for the Alvin Theatre, to get my ticket to "Annie."  You should have seen the line I had to stand in.  Clearly, thanks to the TONY Awards, "Annie" had become the hottest ticket on Broadway.  I was so lucky to have secured a seat fairly soon--June 25!!!!!--which turned out to be a magical theater experience.

                                      Not only did I go "Annie" crazy, I got my whole neighborhood into the act.  Once the cast album was released, it was a short time before I had it memorized, and then, before you knew it, I was recruiting as many kids on the street as I could round up to recreate the two most signature routines of the show--"It's The Hard-Knock Life," and "You're Never Fully Dressed,Without A Smile," the latter being my favorite.

                                         There was even this kid on my street, Philip Shiffman, who was in the throes of early puberty. He developed the biggest crush on Andrea McArdle, to the point where I, already theatrically driven, had secured the backstage number at the Alvin Theatre!!!!!!!  I dialed, asked for Andrea, and someone went to get her. But Philip--oh, Philip!!!!!--was just too afraid to even talk to her. Never mind we were running up his mother's phone bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             Today, Philip is gay (which I have to say was a surprise to  me, when I found out!!!!!!), living in Maplewood, New Jersey (one town over from South Orange, where I went to Seton Hall!!!!!!!!!) with his partner, and works in a bank, somewhere out there.  I wonder, to this day, if Philip remembers any of this??????????? Hey, Philip, do you plan to see the revival of "Annie??????"

                                                I don't, dolls, because it can never be like the Original.  As one who saw it can only say.  For the cast and crew of the present production, I wish them the best.

                                                   Now, what has all this to do with a dream????????????

                                                     Well, last night, I had this dream where I was in a bar somewhere--something, say, like Barrymore's, for those who recall that wonderful spot!!!!!!!  I was at a table for two, drinking, and sitting across from me was Dorothy Loudon, in her full Miss Hannigan dress and regalia, doing her Miss Hanningan characterization, musing on the revival of "Annie," how it will never work, what will go wrong, and why.

                                                        Was Dorothy really communicating with me from Beyond????? Or was she just voicing the doubts I myself have about the revival???   And it was "Annie" we were discussing, dolls, not "Ballroom."  And then--oh, just wait, girls, I kid you not--Dorothy stood up, I began to sing the opening, and, along with Dorothy singing AND dancing--I just sat in my seat and sang--we did "Easy Street!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                                            That was some dream, darlings!!!!!!!!!!   And like the song says of "Easy Street"....."when you get there.......STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments: