Followers

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Girls, With The Holidays Closing In, I Thought I Will Put This Out--I Have GOT To Have That Hairstyle, Fur Coat, Beaded Dress, And Pearls Tied Exactly As Seen!


                                    I have always been interested in the character of Karen Richards, played by Celeste Holm, in 1950's "All About Eve."  She is from the most ordinary of backgrounds--a former Radcliffe grad, who later marries professor/playwright Lloyd Richards (Hugh Marlowe, at his most good looking!).  As Addison (George Sanders) says, in his opening monologue, "Nothing in her breeding or background should have brought her closer to the theater than Row E, Center."  Even Karen herself says, to Eve, "I'm the lowest form of celebrity."



                                   So, why am I drawn to her, more than the others?  Well, for starters, as a character she is fascinating.  As one with the least theatrical background, she sets so much of the story in motion--befriending Eve outside, bringing her in to meet Margo and Company, arranging to have Margo miss a performance, so Eve can go on, and later facing those consequences when she is blackmailed by Eve.. Oh, and there is that laugh.... but I have said enough, already.



                                       Many might argue, but with my fashion sense, and an awareness of how I would look, she has the most interesting wardrobe in the film. I just LOVE her outfits, darlings!!!!!!!!!!



                                           The hair style is classic Fifties, but I am sure a good stylist, like Sally (Hershberger) could do it, so that it would fit on me



                                             Now, about that fur coat.  I want it, but I am not so cruel as to kill animals for it.  So, I am willing to have the same look and color--but with synthetic fur.  As for the dress, surely a good designer, or even a copy artist could replicate it, though without color, I am not sure what shade it would be in.  Has this film ever been colorized?  I hope not, nor would I ever look at it that way.  However, if someone out there has seen it such, perhaps I could be filled in on the color of the gown.  And I would need a dresser to get me in this outfit, and tie the pearls (white) perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                I can't wait to see how I look!  Eve was too deceiving and manipulative.  Unlike Eve, I just put it out there.  It is called honesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                               As Bette Davis once said, "How does any Eve do it?"


                                               Wish me luck, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 

3 comments:

Victoria said...

You might disagree, but I prefer All About Eve over Sunset Boulevard!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
We are on the same page. I prefer
"All About Eve," and have seen it
more times than "Sunset Boulevard."
Though the other is not bad, by any
means.

Victoria said...

Definitely. Both have excellent performances