Followers

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Reading News--The Year Of The Challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                      Before last year ended, I had made up my mind I would approach reading differently in 2022.  I have two vertical shelves of books I have never gotten to--some have been there for years--so I resolved to clear as much of them as possible.


                                         Thus, I have only read 7 books this month--which for me is low.  I am not consciously shooting for 100 books this year--having set an all-time record for myself last year, with 124, which I am currently inputting, and will eventually post--but if I do not reach 100 this year, I promise not to look upon it as a moral failing.



                                              Just so you know, the seven books I have read are--                                                                                      1. "The Witching Hour," by Anne Rice                                                                                                           2. "The Liar's Dictionary," by Eley Williams                                                                                                 3. "Autumn," by Ali Smith                                                                                                                             4. "Winter," by Ali Smith                                                                                                                               5. "Spring," by Ali Smith                                                                                                                                     6. "Summer," by Ali Smith                                                                                                                             7. "The Tenant," by Katrine Engberg    


                                                 This is a low total for me, but there is a method to my madness this year, and I found it in Jonathan Franzen.  But before going there, let me tell you outright--Skip the Ali Smith Seasonal Quartet.  Overrated, pretentious, and who gives a shit?  But remember, that's me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 



                                                                           


                                                 This is the book I am currently reading--"Abel And Cain," by Gregor Von Rezzori, with an Introduction by Joshua Cohen, author of "Witz."  Recently, when all this fuss was made over Donna Tartt's alleged escapades at Bennington--which is none of OUR business, darlings--she mentioned her fondness for The New York Review Book Classics.  I have been copying the list, A to Z, and plan to read as many this year as I am able.  This novel, which is 961 pages, consists of two novels, "The Death Of My Brother Abel," and "Cain."  The first book is longer; right now, I am on page 352.  This is not a quick read.  Nor should it be.  And this is where Jonathan Franzen comes in.


                                                      He maintains, and I agree, that hard books/novels are more of a challenge because they require work.  When he sat down and read "The Recognitions," it was over at least a ten-day period, with Franzen reading six to eight hours a day.  And I am trying to follow this regimen, with "Abel And Cain."


                                                    Back in 2002, when he went from struggling writer to Literary Icon from the publication of his now signature work, "The Corrections," he wrote an essay in "The New Yorker called "Mr. Difficult: William Gaddis, And The Problem Of Hard-To-Read Books."  The focus of the piece is on Franzen's experience of reading Gaddis' first, blockbuster 1955 novel, "The Recognitions," which clocks in at 956 pages.  This book, I must say, has stared me down in bookstores over the years, daring me to read it.  After reading the Franzen essay, I confess I just may have to.



                                                        But before going on, let me alert you to the books Franzen has picked up over the years, and has been unable to finish; some I have read, others not, and some surprise me.  The ones I have read are "Moby Dick," by Herman Melville, "Mason And Dixon," by Thomas Pynchon, "Remembrance Of Things Past," by Marcel Proust, and "The Golden Notebook," by Doris Lessing.  Those I have not read, but fully intend to, are "The Man Without Qualities," by Robert Musil, "Don Quixote," by Miguel de Cervantes, "Doctor Faustus," by Thomas Mann, "Naked Lunch," by William Burroughs, and "The Golden Bowl," by Henry James.



                                                            I certainly have my work cut out for me.  If these are good enough for Franzen and Tartt, then I am on their page.  Those on here who are readers are whom I have written this post for, just to let you know what I am up to.  I cannot wait to get back to "Abel And Cain."



                                                                However, this does mean that my whole year is going to be like reading for comps.  I have my eye on a recently published book, "Devil's House," by John Darnielle, which deals with a man who spends the night in a house where some unsolved murders took place.  If there is anything I love, it is unsolved murders.  So, you know I should have fun with this one, even if I was not crazy over his 2017 effort, "Universal Harvest."  Even serious readers have to get their fun somewhere.



                                                                    So, that's it for now, folks!  Right now, I am going to tune out, and curl up with "Abel And Cain."  I will keep you posted on my project periodically, and if I hit any books I think should be skipped, I will be sure to let you know.



                                                                       Hell, there is a remote possibility I may get to Joyce's Ulysses," this year!



                                                                       Happy Reading, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




                      

                                               

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Yesterday we went to a thrift store and I found an entire shelf of hardcover Joyces, Faulkners, Hemingways, and one James, for a dollar.
Like New.
Great for Me, but depressing to realize many had not even been Opened.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Sadly, I am not surprised.
But what a great thing to find!
Congratulations!