Followers

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

What Does One's Perception Of An Optical Illusion Say About Oneself??????????????????????????????


                                              This is probably the most famous illusion out there, where can be seen a beautiful woman or a hag.  The first time I saw this, back in seventh grade, I saw the hag first, so what does that say about me?  It took me awhile to see the beautiful woman, and now I can see both simultaneously.



                                                  But I want to talk about two logos that, from childhood on, have acted on me, as optical illusions, and I wonder what it all says about me?

                                                    The first is the Garden State Parkway logo, in my home state, New Jersey.  I wish the word parkway was omitted from the center; it is on some signs, which make the illusion I will describe more believable.  



                                                        Now, intellectually, I know the green symbol is a portrait of the state of New Jersey.  But, as a child, before understanding that, I saw a side view of a soldier standing at attention, gun to his side.  And, truth be told, I still see this image.  And my only association with guns is "Annie Get Your Gun."



                                                           But what does it say about me?



                                                                                   

                                Now, the Mobile Gas symbol is different.  I can see clearly now that it is a winged horse.  However, when I was a small child, driving with my mother along Route 27, out in Edison, where there was a Mobile Building, I would say to my mother that it was a hand glove, or what I would call "the Mobil Gas glove," to which she would respond, |"It's a flying horse."  It got to be a joke for years, whenever we would pass this.  I eventually outgrew this, but, until I did, I always saw in this symbol an elegant hand glove?



                                  What do you think of that, girls?????????????????????



                                    "Look for the girl, with the sun in her eyes, and she's gone."

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Once you see it, it’s impossible to un-see!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
How true! Those illusions have not
changed for me!