Followers

Friday, January 14, 2022

Why Am I Always Drawn To Antha? Am I Antha? Or Am I More Like Stella????????????????????????????


                                               Anne Rice poured everything she had into "The Witching Hour," which I consider her masterpiece.  The city of New Orleans--its food, restaurants, cemeteries and customs--laid bare for readers, making them feel as though they had been there--literary references, the history of a dynasty of witches--and the damn, absorbing thing is over 900 pages.  This was my fourth reading, and I had forgotten how long it is, because one gets immersed in the Mayfair world.


                                                  I suggest if you have never read this book, skip this post, and then come back and read it.  This is strictly for "Witching Hour" afficionados.



                                                   But first--



                                                  The Mayfair Witches

                                                   1. Suzanne Mayfair (-1659)                                                                                                                           2. Deborah Mayfair (1652-1689)                                                                                                                   3. Charlotte Mayfair (1667-1743)                                                                                                                 4.  Jeanne-Louise Mayfair (1690-1771)                                                                                                         5.  Angelique Mayfair (1725-?)                                                                                                                     6.  Marie-Claudette Mayfair (late 1700's-?)                                                                                                   7.  Marguerite Mayfair (?-?)                                                                                                                           8.  Katherine Mayfair (?-1905)                                                                                                                       9.  Julien Mayfair (?-1914)                                                                                                                            10. Mary Beth Mayfair (1872-1925)                                                                                                              11. Stella Mayfair (1901-1929)                                                                                                                      12. Carlotta Mayfair (?-?) (around 94 yrs. old)                                                                                              13. Antha Marie Mayfair (1921-1941)                                                                                                          14. Deirdre Mayfair (?-late 1970's, aged 48)                                                                                                  15. Rowan Mayfair (1959--)   



                                      I am going to begin with Julien Mayfair, because, I am convinced, I met him in 1996.  It was my first time in New Orleans, and I was walking through the Garden District, having dined at Galatoire's in the Quarter.  Coming to the Mayfair house, I stared at it intently, noticing the porch roof onto which Antha had been pushed out, fallen from, and killed. My eyes turned directly to the front door, where Deirdre Mayfair's rocking chair was placed.  Seated upon it was a man I had never seen, with dark black hair, and a moustache.  He beckoned to me, and before I knew it, I was walking through this famous property, up the steps, and onto the property, as though having every right to.  I stopped before the man, who stared at me, asked me how I was, then ran his hand down my right cheek.  He said, "Do you know why you are fine?  Because you woke up this morning; that's why.  It's when you don't wake up, that you are not fine."



                                         I took this in, not believing how calm I was about the whole thing.  The next day, I brought my friends, who I was with on vacation trip, to the house, around the same time.  No one was in the rocker.  Now, some might say the man was Anne Rice's husband, Stan, but pictures of him that I have seen don't match the gentleman I saw, who was thin.  I am convinced to this day that it was Julien Mayfair, though some might think it was Lasher.  But why was I singled out by the Mayfair witches? The only thing I can attest to is, having been to New Orleans twice, each time I had a paranormal experience.  Fifteen years later, in 2011, I returned, and going to breakfast one morning in the Monteleone Hotel--David was already downstairs-- I saw the ghost of a woman dressed in nineteenth century garb pass by me in a hall I was a good distance away from.


                                              What to make of this, darlings???????????????????  Have I been marked by the Mayfairs?  And, if so, why?



                                               No one can say the Mayfairs have not had their share of trouble--Hons, what family hasn't? The things I could still talk about mine! --but I want to tell you, I blame the whole thing on that bitch, Carlotta.  She, not Lasher, got Lionel to kill his sister, Stella, at a party, where her then small daughter, Antha, witnessed the whole thing!  Antha is to "The Witching Hour," what Dora is to "David Copperfield," young, delicate and pretty, the kind of girl young men easily fall in love with.  Alas, they are doomed to tragic, and brief, lives.  Dora had a miscarriage, from which she never recovered, but Antha's death was worse.  She was a dreamy, poetic soul, who wanted, and did, run off to New York, to get away, not so much from New Orleans, but the clutches of her Aunt Carlotta, who kept her a virtual prisoner.  Antha enjoyed a brief sojourn in the Village, living with a painter, where she wrote short stories, published a poem in "The New Yorker," and conceived her daughter, Deirdre Mayfair.  This child was born in New Orleans, as Antha was eventually tracked down.  Carlotta, because she resented not being designated the Legacy, which went to Stella, resented Stella, and Antha, to whom it went, after Stella's death.  This culminated in an argument that resulted in Carlotta chasing Antha up the stairs, into Julien's bedroom, with a flat roof outside.  They fought and scratched, with Carlotta getting the best of the delicate Antha, not only gouging out her eyes, but pushing her out the window, onto the roof, where she rolled and fell to her death, head cracked open on the ground.  Poor Antha!   If it had been me, I would have called out Carlotta, and then called forth Lasher.  Which shows maybe that I am not Antha, after all, though I have some of her qualities.  I would not tolerate such nonsense from anyone, which makes me more like Stella, with her wild parties, and champagne filled swimming pool.  Hey, I have been to some wild parties, and I could go for a champagne filled swimming pool.  David says I am a bit of both.



                                     For me, this is the crux of the whole thing--that bitch, Carlotta!



                                      Deborah was one of the great witches.  Burned at the stake in Scotland, in 1689, she had the rage and strength to call forth Lasher, before the flames engulfed her.  Lasher brought forth a storm, destroying not only the town square, where the execution took place, but all who condemned Deborah, including her young sons, who testified against her.  I am with Deborah, all the way.  She is a good witch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                          There is much more to the novel, but this is what interests me most.  If only Antha had been given more time.  She might have been the greatest witch.  Had I ever had a daughter, she would have been named Antha.  It means "flower," or "blossom," in Greek.  Interestingly, two literary works referenced throughout are |Great Expectations," and "David Copperfield."  And in the latter, Aunt Betsey Trotwood calls Dora "Little Blossom."



                                              Anne Rice certainly knew what she was doing.  Her problem was she had so many ideas, she could not get them out fast enough.  When L. Frank Baum died, other writers took up the Oz mantle.  I wish someone would do that with the family Mayfair.  Maybe an alternate reality where Antha does not die but lives a full life.   To conjecture on her potential accomplishments is endlessly fascinating.



                                               I have said what I have had to.  Any Mayfairers out there, let me know.



                                              This novel proves witchery is NOT all "Bedknobs and Broomsticks," darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                                              

                                                    Rest In Peace, Antha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                                               



                                                                                                                                                                                           

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I, too, am drawn to Antha, and share some characteristics

TheMst7883 said...

This novel is repetitive, contradictory, and often unfocused.

It is also one of the great literary wallows of the 20th century.

I myself have read it SIX times (maybe I'll stop at.... 13?) and it is always a go-to when I want something to dip in and out of. It is simultaneously gothic and intrinsically 1980s. By the way, in my mind, dear benighted Katherine doesn't make the list. Julien was the Witch of that period. You're so lucky to have met him... don't question it.

My biggest "paranormal" experience of New Orleans happened the first time, when I was imeediately besotted in a way that no other city has matched.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I was instantly drawn to Antha from
the first time. Maybe this blog is
carrying on the tradition of Antha!

The Raving Queen said...

TheMst7883,
The truth of your first two paragraphs
I discovered for myself, on this recent
reading. Julien was indeed powerful, and
I am amazed to have met him. I never
expected to.

I agree NOLA is like no other place.
My only issue is the heat.

I reread the book in honor of Anne Rice.
But the mid-section--the History Of The Mayfair
Witches--is still, and always will be, the best
part!