Followers

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

How One Describes "The Minutes" Depends On One's Perception!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                         Interpretation is the least definitive thing about Tracy Letts' play, "The Minutes," which David and I saw at its closing performance, on Sunday.  More definitive is the quality of the direction, (Anna D. Shapiro, again) acting, set design; actually, the entire production.


                                           Jessie Mueller, long our musical theater treasure, sings not a note in her performance as clerk Mrs. Johnosn, and she proves herself adept at not only blending into a solid acting ensemble, but one with some quite Grade A actors.



                                             These include Mr. Letts himself, who, as Mayor Superba, gives both a genial and dark performance.  Old timers Blair Brown and Austin Pendleton--he, especially--liven things up with their dismissals of bureaucracy, having been in it too long, but the one who really walks off with the show is Sally Murphy, a Steppenwolf veteran, who, like Jessie, played Julie Jordan in Lincoln Center's "Carousel," back in 1994.   Imagine, this production has two Julies.  As Mrs. Matz, Sally Murphy is more interesting for what she does--her quirks, her mannerisms--than what she says.  She does have one of my favorite lines, however--"I have to take too much goddamn medication!" which I can relate to.  Her busyness distinguishes her as an actress finding her way this way to each character she plays.  Good as everyone is, Sally is hard to miss.



                                                As for the darker aspects of "The Minutes," you may want to stop here, because while I will not reveal the literal ending, I may make enough references that may inform you enough to make a reasonable guess.



                                                I knew I was on the right track, when the council members started enacting onstage the story of what happened in "the creek incident," back in the 1800's.  At some point in the proceedings, I said to myself, "This is like the 1956 film, 'The Searchers'."  Within minutes, that film is actually referenced in the play.



                                                 As for the ending, I shall only reference "Lord Of The Flies," by William Golding, and "The Lottery," by Shirley Jackson.  As for what happened to missing council member Mr. Carp, well, you tell me.  I have my own idea of what happened, based on the ending and what I think is about to happen to Mr. Peel, but I am not sure I would be agreed with.  And that is just fine.



                                                 "The Minutes" operates on the premise that we are all our own worst enemies.  And that we prefer our illusions to the actual truth.  The question of how far we will go to maintain such is open to debate, which is what the final, shocking moments of "The Minutes" makes clear.



                                                    Is the status quo really the safer route?  Or is it heinously dangerous?



                                                    I know what I think.  Catch a subsequent production of this play, of which there are sure to be many, and see what you think.  "The Minutes" should be seen.  It fits in with our times but is applicable to any.



                                                       Hurry up, girls.  The clock is ticking..........



                                                      And don't we all just love that little bird?????????   What a satiric riff on "1776!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

Victoria said...

The Lottery traumatized me in sixth grade lol
LOVE Shirley Jackson tho!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I don't think I read it till
high school. It really creeped me out.
I still find it disturbiing.
But David and I both love
Shirley too!