Followers

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Thank You So Much For Last Night, Ann!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why Don't You Come To New York More Often????????????????????????


                                                 I am old enough, and proud enough, to have seen the original production of the Harold Prince-Stephen Sondheim musical "Merrily We Roll Along," back in 1981.  It was a life changer.  I saw it twice, in fact, and had it run longer I would have gone back and back.  Prices were cheaper, then, and the young cast, whom I did not know I would meet many of in later years, were so outstanding.  The one who blew away me the most was Ann Morrison--that voice!!!!!!!!!!  Also, a lovely person.  



                                                   I try and see her live every time she is in town, and I am sorry I was not at 54 Below last night.  But I was privileged to watch it online, as were many cast members, and I bet some others were in the audience.  As former cast member and now musical director, David Loud said, "...for a 15-performance flop, it has been written about and analyzed, as though it were "A Chorus Line."



                                                      Actually, it was.  The score was moving, and so was the young cast.   I will say now that the older I get the more "Our Time" breaks my heart.  It did not in 1981, when I was in my late twenties, but in my later sixties, I have a different take on things.



                                                      I had no idea what Ann was going to do, and I was amazed what she came up with.  All by herself, she took the audience on a journey on what it was like to have been part of the 'Merrily' experience.  Not that Lonny Price's documentary was not perfection, but Ann's emotional delivery made me feel what it was like to be there, day after day, night after night, during the whole 1981 experience.  And for the first time, I had the feeling that, had I been part of this group, (I did not audition, as I thought I was too old!) I would have been just as stressed out, frazzled, emotionally exhausted, and frightened as they.  And how disillusioning to see so many musical theater masters fray at the edges.


                                                         After hearing Ann's story, I am not sure, had I been cast, I could have handled it.  Who knows?  Her skillful structuring of the piece took the audience not only through the 'Merrily' experience, but the plot, changes, and, of course, the score.  Ann got me, as she always did, with "Not A Day Goes By."  No one, to this day, sings it as well.  And her "Our Time," as I have said, broke my heart.



                                                          What an emotional evening for us all!  Now I actually feel like I HAVE been through the 'Merrily' experience.  Well, almost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                             Thanks, Ann, for the memories, and for reminding us that all of us--'Merrily' cast and viewers--have come a long way!  And we're still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                              Just one thing--MY Cream Of Wheat does not have lumps!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Ah, the twists and turns of life!
The seemingly random happenings.
Coincidence? Karma? Divine Intervention??
Why so many talented people are overlooked, under appreciated,
Life is not fair. But God is good.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Indeed. And 'Merrily' deals with
all of this.

Next year, NY Theater Workshop is doing
a production of it, which I have to see.
Daniel Radcliffe, aka Harry Potter, is
playing Charlie, so I am curious how
the rest of it will be cast.

Victoria said...

Me too!!
Put your Casting Director hat on.
Daniel Radcliffe you say?
He’s in his thirties now.
He’d be singing We Had A Good Thing Going
and Old Friends
Could be good!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I saw Daniel, and so did David,
years back in 'How To Succeed.'
The weakest part of his performance
was his singing voice, and 'Merrily' is a song oriented score. It needs
soaring voices. So I am a little worried.
On the other hand, the auditoriums of the NY Theater Workshop
is not as large as any Broadway house, so maybe he will stand
a chance!